Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:10 am Post

Have you thought about writing a book for your application? :D :D :D :D

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:52 am Post

A list of books about Scrivener can be found here:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/lear ... port/books

Please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of third-party books, nor do we have any control over their version-specific update schedules.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 am Post

thanhtruong wrote:Have you thought about writing a book for your application? :D :D :D :D

They have!
The manual...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Tanith
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:21 pm Post

Now I certainly feel silly--I just took the survey and one of my suggestions was the very link posted. Oops.

:oops:

Jack Daniel

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 pm Post

lunk wrote:
thanhtruong wrote:Have you thought about writing a book for your application? :D :D :D :D

They have!
The manual...

Where they failed miserably. I'd rather read Finnegans Wake backwards.

lunk

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:36 pm Post

There are already several books about Scrivener.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:15 am Post

Jack Daniel wrote:
lunk wrote:

They have!
The manual...

That's really constructive, thanks.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:52 pm Post

Jack Daniel wrote:
lunk wrote:

They have!
The manual...

"Un-put-down-able!"
"A tour de force!"
"In this, the 3.1.4.1-01th installment in the 'Scrivener Manual' (Mac edition) saga, the author has captured the vast breadth and breath-taking depth of Scrivener..."

What on earth are you expecting from a computer program manual? :roll:
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Ti
Timotheus

Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:55 pm Post

The manual may be somewhat awe-inspiring, but it's a truly monumental piece of work, and a great help if used as it should be used (which especially means: if you're ready to invest some time in it).

And there is a growing number of other books on Scrivener, yes, but it looks like they're all beginners' guides. I would be interested in a book for the experienced user: for instance, a book that teaches how to get the best out of compiling.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

bernardo vasconcelos

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:52 am Post

I use Scrivener's manual rather often to look up stuff. I find it to be really damn good.
Other apps that have similarly good manuals include DEVONthink, BBEdit, Bookends, and Pandoc. I am always impressed with how much one can learn from reading manuals, especially for Mac apps (the counter-example being Tinderbox as it has very little documentation).

gr

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:57 pm Post

Jack Daniel wrote:I'd rather read Finnegans Wake backwards.

As a Joyce scholar who has read Finnegans Wake backwards I can say with good confidence that your preferences are skewed bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawn-toohoohoordenenthurnuk
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Silverdragon

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:25 pm Post

Actually, there is an intermediate level book: “How to Format Your Novel for Kindle, Nook, the iBookstore, Smashwords, & CreateSpace… in One Afternoon” by Ed Ditto. It assumes you have a completed novel draft in Scrivener 2, and shows you how to use the compiler to compile for several different markets.

It was this book that led to me really getting that I could dump the WYSIWYG concept, and also gave me enough understanding of the compiler to be getting on with for my humble fictional purposes. Three years after the release of Scrivener 3, though, it doesn’t look like Mr Ditto is going to be updating it—and it needs updating badly. All the self-publishing services have moved on, one has died, others have risen, and Scrivener itself, particularly compile, is vastly different.

I’ve been tempted to jump into the gap… but then I’d be writing non-fiction... :D

Jack Daniel

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:17 pm Post

KB wrote:
Jack Daniel wrote:
lunk wrote:They have!
The manual...

That's really constructive, thanks.

Ooh! Sarcasm! Quite out of character.

Don't get me wrong, I consider Scrivener the best application (for any purpose) that I've ever had the pleasure to use, and I consider your execution of it worthy of knighthood for you

The manual? Not so much.

The post was meant to be constructive. Maybe to float the concept of a page-one rewrite.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:44 pm Post

Jack Daniel wrote:The post was meant to be constructive.

Failed, though. Ironically.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes