Scrivener 3, Scrivener for iPad, and changes at apple.

Thomas Rabenstein
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:12 pm Post

macOs Big Sur will most likely be released in the next few days, probably at the keynote. It was already announced that there will be an update for Scrivener 3 (Mac) and for iPadOs.
My question about this: Is it just an update for the operating system, the user interface, etc. or will there be new features as well?
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:43 am Post

RuffPub wrote:
KB wrote:
I would like to stress that my feeling that Scrivener runs fine on Silicon is purely a hunch. :)

Keith, as always, impressed with your hunches.

But then having a hunch way back when that writing Scrivener might be a good idea demonstrates the power of your hunches. :D

Oh, he was way past Silicon even then. You see, Scrivener was already running internally just fine on Neurons.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Thomas Rabenstein

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:14 am Post

Hi there,

Apple announced yesterday the release for Big Sur for tomorrow. It has already been posted that Scrivener 3 will get some customizations. Will the new version be available on the release date of macOs 11.01?

Greetings,
Thomas
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

Fi
Fitch
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 pm Post

Hope nobody is in a rush. I tried to download it and it says, "About 2 days remaining." The download site is slammed beyond belief. I'm not really surprised. It looks like everybody and their neighbor-in-law is trying to download it.

Fitch

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:13 pm Post

The Scrivener Big Sur/Silicon update still needs a few final touches, so unfortunately it's not going to be out on release day - although Apple's developer site is down right now anyway. It won't be much longer, though.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ad
adriancobon

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:27 pm Post

Yay! I can't wait to see what you guys have been working on... (This is nonpolitical, the timing is just spot on...) My last regular job in the literary world ended just days before the 2016 election. I have been freelancing since then. My next actual job is maybe starting soon. During my freelancing time I have used Scrivener nearly everyday for everything from collating research to typing up short stories.

I would not have survived if it wasn't for this tool!

Jaysen

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:21 pm Post

KB wrote:The Scrivener Big Sur/Silicon update still needs a few final touches, so unfortunately it's not going to be out on release day - although Apple's developer site is down right now anyway. It won't be much longer, though.

All the best,
Keith

can we hate the icon in advance?

:D
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:33 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
KB wrote:The Scrivener Big Sur/Silicon update still needs a few final touches, so unfortunately it's not going to be out on release day - although Apple's developer site is down right now anyway. It won't be much longer, though.

All the best,
Keith

Seems you already do!!!

:lol:

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:57 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

All the best,
Keith

Seems you already do!!!

:lol:

Mr X

I'm just going by KB's statement that it will be the most hated thing about ANY update to Scrivener. I don't want to be behind in early adoption!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:01 pm Post

People are bound to hate it; we always get complains whenever we change the icon. I expect complaints about the app tint colour too. I just hope you like purple. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ru
RuffPub

Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:10 am Post

KB wrote:People are bound to hate it; we always get complains whenever we change the icon. I expect complaints about the app tint colour too. I just hope you like purple. :)

The purple is......

I bit the bullet and installed BS on my 2020 16" MBP. I'd been impressed running it as a VM under Fusion during the beta, but royally impressed with it as the main OS. Quick, Scrivener loads multiple projects in a flash. And this is all before you grace us with the BS specific tweaks. Looking forward to!

Now if the performance hints for the Apple Silicon MacBook Air are correct, I'll have a ball using that when I travel.

Jaysen

Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:38 am Post

KB wrote:People are bound to hate it; we always get complains whenever we change the icon. I expect complaints about the app tint colour too. I just hope you like purple. :)

Purple! Prince. Hendrix. I’m good with purple.

But DONT CHANGE THE ICON!!!

If you do the turtles may shift and upset the universe.
Jaysen

ImageImage

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:01 pm Post

Well, I just hope there is a new app preference setting so users can choose their preferred purple: Prince, Hendrix, or Barney.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:33 pm Post

gr wrote:Well, I just hope there is a new app preference setting so users can choose their preferred purple: Prince, Hendrix, or Barney.

Or at least a "hazy" option?
For the record, I hate ALL the icons in Big Sloppy (explained in very next line)

Since I do nothing useful anymore, I dropped the Big Slop on my 2020 air. Can't see a dang thing on it with my old-isa viewing orbs as the ridonkulous amount of padding makes the fonts too small. Oh well... I'm just an ant in the path to progress so I expect to be unhappily squished into the pavement as a general rule.

Also, if all y'all are seeing system speed improvements, something was wrong with your system or is horribly wrong with mine. Definitely slower on my almost brand new, unextended (only MoneyWell and Scrivener on it since last rebuild), 2020 8gb Air. Oh Well... again.

If anyone figures out how to reduce padding (not increase font size) you might be a hero. Or a nerd. You can decide.
Jaysen

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:06 pm Post

You should have seen the early Big Sur betas - the translucency in menus made them nearly unreadable; I'm glad Apple rethought that.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of Apple now specifying that all app icons should be a rounded square - it really limits what you can do with an icon, and makes it much harder to pick them out from the Dock. I'm not sure what Apple has against making it easy to pick out icons, with their obsession with removing either colour or shape variations across the OS over the past few years. There's not much you can do with a rounded square other than stick a letter or simplified image on it. That said, I do like Big Sur over all - I like the flatness of the toolbars. I do wish there was less translucency in sidebars and toolbars, though, but then the obsession with translucency has been a thing for a few years now.