Scrivener 3, Scrivener for iPad, and changes at apple.

Th
Thelgord

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 am Post

Long time use of scrivener, especially for iPad. I originally came here to ask about the differences between Scrivener 3 and the iPad version. Then I read this thread: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62289. It discusses the changes at Apple, which of course will require a change for scrivener.

It does raise some more questions. Will license's carry over? Or will there be an upgrade/switch over path? Either way, that decision, for me personally, will be a couple of years out as my iMac is still trudging along just fine.

Back to the reason I came here. I use scrivener exclusively on iPad, for now. Not sure exactly why I have done that, I just have. I really like using scrivener and I have done more writing than ever thanks to this software. Lately, I find myself in front of my iMac more and more. This probably won't change in the next year. I am currently living in South Korea for work. Before I drop ~$50 on the desktop version, what can it offer me that the iPad version does not? Is it worth the extra money?

Thank for any replies.

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:18 am Post

This quote from AmberV (one of the L&L team) might be helpful:
AmberV wrote:I know the first post is rather old, but to answer that: a comparison table of differences would probably be several hundred pages long! Scrivener on macOS is a huge and extremely versatile program, whereas the iOS version is designed to be a streamlined interpretation of the core fundamentals of the software. Every single aspect of what you have on macOS, that is even present in the iOS version at all, is going to be pared back to the very basics.

It's from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=50264

MacOS Scrivener is like the iOS version on steroids. There are literally hundreds of features that either aren't present on iOS, or are much reduced in functionality. The good news is that you have a 30 day trial of Scrivener before you have to pay for a license, so you can get a good feel for it. That's 30 days of actual use, not 30 consecutive days.

If you write regularly and enjoy using iOS Scrivener, then in my opinion it will be the best $50 you could spend.

Th
Thelgord

Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 am Post

Thank you Kinsey, I just downloaded the free trial. I didn't know that was it was thirty days of actual use. That is very good to know. This should be fun. :)

Ki
Kinsey

Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:25 pm Post

No problem, enjoy!

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:01 pm Post

Thelgord wrote:It does raise some more questions. Will license's carry over? Or will there be an upgrade/switch over path? Either way, that decision, for me personally, will be a couple of years out as my iMac is still trudging along just fine.

I don't speak for the company, but I've been through the Motorola -> Intel transition, and there was no additional license required for that. If we were still living with version 2 for the Mac, after nearly a decade, I'd assume that they'd be working on a paid upgrade. But we're only recently (by the time scale of Scrivener releases) up to version 3 for Mac, and so I don't believe that they'll create an artificial version 4 just to force people to pay for an upgrade license.

Take a look here, where you can _still_ download version 1.54 for Motorola & Intel processors (released 2010), and also version 2.5 (released in 2013) which was the last version that could run on both processor types. The paid upgrade happened at 2.0, but it was not required to run on the (then) new Intel architecture. My belief is that the transition to ARM will look similar. https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scri ... s?os=macOS
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 am Post

Scrivener 3 will be updated to work on Apple Silicon machines. I say "will" - in fact I've already done it and have it running perfectly smoothly on a Silicon machine, so it will just be a matter of releasing the "universal" version (the version that is native to both Intel and Silicon) when Apple releases a Silicon machine and allows developers to upload universal binaries. This will be a free update for Scrivener 3 users. Likewise Scrivener 3 will be (has been internally) updated for the Big Sur UI.

The iPad and iPhone versions are also due some free updates, which I'll be working on very soon.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

kewms

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:05 pm Post

What do you think of the Silicon machine? (Or rather, what, if anything, will Apple let you say about it?)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:18 pm Post

kewms wrote:What do you think of the Silicon machine? (Or rather, what, if anything, will Apple let you say about it?)

Katherine

Actually I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to say whether or not I have a Silicon machine! So, er, Scrivener runs fine on Silicon but I cannot say how I know that. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Thomas Rabenstein

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:59 pm Post

KB wrote:Actually I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to say I have a Silicon machine! So, er, Scrivener runs fine on Silicon but I cannot say how I know that. :)

Under no circumstances should you say that you have received a transition kit in the form of a Mac Mini for testing purposes. Some developers showed it on YouTube, since then you don't hear from them anymore. 8) 8)
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:35 pm Post

Thomas Rabenstein wrote:
KB wrote:Actually I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to say I have a Silicon machine! So, er, Scrivener runs fine on Silicon but I cannot say how I know that. :)

Under no circumstances should you say that you have received a transition kit in the form of a Mac Mini for testing purposes. Some developers showed it on YouTube, since then you don't hear from them anymore. 8) 8)

I would like to stress that my feeling that Scrivener runs fine on Silicon is purely a hunch. :)

Ah
Ahab

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 am Post

KB wrote:

I would like to stress that my feeling that Scrivener runs fine on Silicon is purely a hunch. :)[/quote]

Editorially speaking, if you lower-case that S in silicon you're technically not even prevaricating.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:07 pm Post

Ahab wrote:
KB wrote:
I would like to stress that my feeling that Scrivener runs fine on Silicon is purely a hunch. :)

Editorially speaking, if you lower-case that S in silicon you're technically not even prevaricating.

I took my Scrivener out and put in on some silicon. It did not run. It just sat there until the tide came and, one bite at a time, washed all its bits away.

;-)

KB, I'm certain that you've already mastered the completely unknowable change for an unmentionable hardware that you hypothetically do not have access too. We trust the turtles have seen that it all works out in the end.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

su
suavito

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:51 pm Post

And did you know that for Germans the term "silicon" is a false friend? Because "Silikon" is a German word but it does not mean "silicon" but "silicone"? ("Silicon" is "Silizium", by the way.)

That has lead to funny results more than once when someone couldn't help translating "Silicon Valley". Not that it was totally wrong as that other valley very well does exist in California too … We can probably expect more incidents of this mistranslation over the time Apple Silicon gets known more.

Anyway, Keith, if you want to run Scrivener fine on silicone too you should definitely extend the script writing features. (Damn! I forgot to mention that in my answers to your big survey!) With not only a name but a story line generator too. So it could come up with something like this:

A DRIVEWAY IN LOS ANGELES – DAY
DOORBELL RINGS.

PIZZA BOY
Pizza delivery!

RAUNCHY FEMALE VOICE (V. O.)
Bring it to the pool!

POOL AREA

PIZZA BOY (GAPING)
Woah! They are … huge! Are these the Hollywood Hills?

LANGUID BUT STILL RAUNCHY FEMALE
Do you see any capital letters? – Aw, whatever. Put the pizzas over there. And you could leave your tank top and gym shorts there too, it's way too hot for them, don't you think? And would you mind getting me the suntan cream and my two best friends Candy and Bambi from the kitchen?

LANGUID etc. FEMALE (CONT.)
And be careful not to knock over the antique Chinese vase with your …

CAPTION OVER
Enter your credit card number here:

Please forgive me for putting the "silly" into "silicon(e)".
Corrected Author’s Preface

This book is a word-for-word record of what my wife said in her sleep last night.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

Ru
RuffPub
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:02 pm Post

KB wrote:

Keith, as always, impressed with your hunches.

But then having a hunch way back when that writing Scrivener might be a good idea demonstrates the power of your hunches. :D

Thomas Rabenstein

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:37 am Post

KB wrote:I would like to stress that my feeling that Scrivener runs fine on Silicon is purely a hunch. :)

A genius does not need any hardware to know that everything is going well. 8) 8) 8)

Another question. With the announced updates for the adaptations to the new macOs, are there only fixes or also new features included?
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User