Feature Request: Scriptwriting Word Count to exclude non-dialogue words

AstonishingGoddess
Platform: Mac

Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 pm Post

Apologies if this feature request is already mentioned; I searched but could not find it. I use Scriv almost exclusively for plays. I would love a feature, where in Scriptwriting mode, I can set word count to display ONLY dialogue. That is for Scriv to use Scriptwriting prompts (Scene Action, Character, Dialogue) to filter ONLY for dialogue. I then, convert dialogue word count to 'words spoken per minute' to give me a scene length (time on stage). As per my silly sample below, I can have 1000 words written but if there's only two of dialogue, then I need to keep writing. If there is a way for me to do this, please let me know, and if not, I mean, I'm not a coder, but how hard could it be, right? :mrgreen:
scriptWordCountFalse.png
scriptWordCountFalse.png (150.42 KiB) Viewed 435 times

popcornflix

Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 am Post

[quote="AstonishingGoddess"]I'm not a coder, but how hard could it be, right? /quote]

I believe that's on page one of the book "1001 phrases guaranteed to get software developers to hate you."

On a more serious note, have you tried making a Collection that only shows dialogue, and then count those words?
.:popcornFlix:.

AstonishingGoddess
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:44 am Post

Thanks PopcornFlix for your suggestion. I took a look at Collections, (not having used them before) and couldn't work out how I might do that, but appreciate the thought.