find and replace to be font sensitive

si
silver hammer
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 am Post

changing font properties for scientific writing, e.g Hsubscript2baselineO is a pain, would love to just type H20 then do a final Find and Replace with the formatted font included. Possible?

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 pm Post

You could do that with a text replacement utility. The best known are TextExpander and Typinator. But aText is only $5 (http://www.trankynam.com/atext/). Worth trying, I would think.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

xiamenese

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:05 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:You could do that with a text replacement utility. The best known are TextExpander and Typinator. But aText is only $5 (http://www.trankynam.com/atext/). Worth trying, I would think.

Sadly, TextExpander has gone subscription-ware. When I upgraded to 10.13 or .14 it would no longer work, and I couldn't find any reference to ongoing work to update it. Having just checked in and downloaded a trial, I'm not sure that I'll continue. I didn't make much use of it when I had it, so I don't think the subscription will be worth it. I'll have a look at Typinator (If memory serves, Ioa uses that and has recommended it highly).

:)

Mark

Further info: I've just tried both Typinator and aText, and neither of them has worked under 10.14.4! I'll restart my MBP and see if that works.
Last edited by xiamenese on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:23 pm Post

Hi Mark -- I used Typinator for years and found it pretty good. Maybe the interface is not as good as TextExpander, but it does depend a bit on taste. I gave up on TextExpander when they went subscription. Apart from being annoyed at the change, I realised that I only really used two or three macros frequently. In addition, the thing never really worked on iOS, which was my main reason for switching from Typinator. I haven't gone back to Typinator because I don't need anything complex, and the stuff I do need can be done by the system, which also works on iOS. You might also like to look at Phrase Express https://www.phraseexpress.com/ which works on all the platforms. It seems a bit expensive, but does seem very capable.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

xiamenese

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 pm Post

Just restarted and Typinator does work. I'll have to think again about aText ... I used TextExpander so little that the $5 cost of aText might be worth a punt, though I'm going to have to re-install it. I don't think I can justify the cost of Typinator, even though it's a bargain compared with TextExpander. Probably the only thing I'd use it for is inserting the current date!

I'll sleep on it, I think.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …