I would like some tools and remove annoyance for the former Microsoft Word user

ma
mattpurtell
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:11 pm Post

I was surprisingly pleased with Scrivener after switching from Microsoft Word due to lack of dark mode that gives me eye strain relief, even though Microsoft recently added new dark mode but still limited, I guess it's already too late? Anyway, I still find something annoying with Scrivener and I'd like to see better features to be added.

It should be compatible with Microsoft Word and maybe Apple's Page, just regular document like .docx format.

I just want Save button and Clear All Formatting button. I know it would be saved automatically but it'd be more helpful if I had them. I have to select Pasta and Match Style every time and I have to go to File and select Save every time before I close the document.

Header and footer should be removed when I print. It's completely unnecessary.

I'd like to make dark background more little darker while fonts should be still bright and white but I don't mind it. Thanks.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:58 pm Post

Thanks for checking out Scrivener!

It should be compatible with Microsoft Word and maybe Apple’s Page, just regular document like .docx format.

Scrivener isn’t a document editor. What you are suggesting would cripple the software and turn it into something else entirely. People can store gigabytes of research in their projects, they can develop ideas with hundreds or thousands of outline nodes. These are things that no mere word processing format is capable of. For that matter most people don’t even write their entire book into one .docx file because of how untennable it is to use one file for everything, when everything is as large as a book. With Scrivener you can store tens of millions of words into a “file” without running into serious performance issues.

It is not traditional for Mac software to have a “save” button anywhere in the user interface, and that goes back a long time, long before auto-save was a concept. But speaking of auto-save, there is no point in saving in Scrivener, 999 times out of a 1,000. By the time you manage to get your hand over to the mouse, navigate the pointer up into a tiny little rectangle with a disk icon in it, stop and click—the project will already have saved. It saves even when you pause for a moment between words.

There are optional reasons for why you might want to hard save (mostly relating to extended backup and versioning tools), but if you open a project, type in ‘a’, and immediately hit ⌘Q to shut down the software—guess what, you work is saved.

But if you really need to save all of the time, I’d suggest learning ⌘S. That’ll save you time not only in Scrivener, but every single program on your Mac that is capable of saving.

Clear all formatting: Documents ▸ Convert ▸ Text to Default Formatting, and Edit ▸ Paste and Match Style. The latter has a shortcut, ⇧⌥⌘V. More information can be found here.

Header and footer should be removed when I print. It’s completely unnecessary.

I presume you’re talking about casual printing rather than compiling, so refer to chapter 26 on printing, where all options are listed. For compiling, just set your compile Format to “Default” in the left column. That will only place a page number in the footer. You of course have full control. Double-click the “Default” format to duplicate & edit it, then click on the Page Settings option pane. Documentation in §24.20, Page Settings. There are a lot of capabilities here, but if all you want to do is remove headers and footers from a design, go through the list of contexts in the “Header and Footer Text” tab.

I’d like to make dark background more little darker while fonts should be still bright and white but I don’t mind it.

You have near total control over this in the Appearance preference pane.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:26 pm Post

Just to add to Ioa's comments, Scrivener is not intended to be a Word replacement. If that's what you're looking for and you're not happy with Pages, take a look at Nisus Writer Pro or LibreOffice.

If you haven't already seen it, check out the Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu. It's a good overview of how Scrivener differs from Word-like tools.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team