Text selection: sentences?

RH
RHvdG
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:12 am Post

There is a small mistake in the manual, page 375: triple click selects a paragraph, not a word. That said, I would prefer it to select a sentence instead, with four clicks selecting a paragraph. I've seen this in another application, I forget which. It's very nice to be able to select a faulty sentence in one go and hit delete, or type over it.
Doing a PhD on Hegel, using Scrivener. ‘Es geht vernünftig zu.’

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am Post

The behaviours of clicking in text are all dictated by the common Mac editing tools, so we can’t change that aspect of how they work. That aside, Scrivener has a sentence selection tool with the Edit ▸ Select ▸ Select Sentence & Select Sentence with Spaces menu commands. If you intend frequent use of these commands, you might want to add a keyboard shortcut (I used ⇧⌘7 by the way).

Thanks for the error note! I’ve fixed the duplicate and incorrect entry in the manual, and have also added a mention of the sentence selection method to this section.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm Post

In fact, this was something I experimented with back in 2016, during 3.0's development. The problem is that Apple doesn't provide enough override points to change their behaviour. So I could change things so that triple-clicking worked for sentences and four clicks for paragraphs, but in other circumstances (such as dragging), Apple's private code would kick in so that you couldn't triple-click-drag a sentence as you could with other selections. This led to inconsistencies, so I had to drop it.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

RH
RHvdG

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:09 pm Post

That makes sense, and I will get by just fine with a keyboard shortcut. Thanks.
Doing a PhD on Hegel, using Scrivener. ‘Es geht vernünftig zu.’