Styles vs. Compile

zikade
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am Post

I do love the new Styles, they are incredible and I love to use them.

However, I'd like to have a option to override Styles when I'm compiling. It's the first time in years I finally produced something I consider worth sharing with a couple of beta & proof readers, where the output is using my styles which are a lot of things but certainly not for making notes in the manuscript. Maybe nobody is using old-fashioned PDF's for that task except me, if so, please tell me.
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

nontroppo

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm Post

Scrivener is absolutely designed to do what you want. Section 23 of the User manual explains this in detail, and there are a series of video tutorials for Compile, see "Getting Your Work Out" here:

http://literatureandlatte.com/learn-and ... s?os=macOS

Start here:

http://literatureandlatte.com/learn-and ... t?os=macOS

You should be able to just apply a predefined Compile format, like "Manuscript (Times)" and be good to go...

zikade

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 am Post

Thanks. Either I'm spectacularly dumb or I manage to create a complete mess.

Unless I do create my very own compile format I do get font substitution in compile, but neither line spacing nor paragraph spacing is changed. If I create my own compile format, I'll have to adapt my format template for compiling to any style I used in my manuscript, right?
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am Post

You could perhaps more easily take one of the built-in formats and adapt that to your purposes, if one of them already does 95% of what you need outside of matching style names properly.

As for paragraph attributes not applying, that should work, so double-check to make sure the original style is a paragraph style, and that the style in the compile pane that is meant to overwrite it is also a paragraph style.

This sample project demonstrates a very simple example of style overrides in action.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles