ScrivNote for iPhone - feedback requested!

dm
dmath

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:43 pm Post

Thanks for the link Amber. I haven't yet had a chance to view many threads on the forum.

Ca
CaffeineBoy

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 am Post

Sign me up! *Any* kind of syncing app, even if it's a plug-in for somebody else's (Evernote?) or a web shuttle or whatever, would be all kinds of excellent. I'm a recent convert to the Scrivener bandwagon... in fact, it was partially what drove my Mac purchasing decision late last year. In the last few years only decision I've been happier about than returning to the Mac was dumping my old cell phone, iPod and ancient Handspring PDA for an iPhone. I love that li'l guy and having such an app would be one step closer to my vision of getting all my stuff organized and interconnected.

my
mymoon
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:08 pm Post

Here's how I've come to use Scrivener (and why I'd love to just have Scrivener on iPhone): I do my writing at my desk on Scrivener. Before I leave my desk for any significant length of time, I copy and paste my writing into Evernote and sync it so it can be available on my iPhone for editing on-the-go. Then, if I've made any Evernote edits while away from the desk, I open my desktop version of Evernote, sync, and copy/paste back into Scrivener.

This is somewhat a hassle, but I'm dependent on Scrivener as a writing tool at my desk AND I need access to my work-in-progress while away from the desk. Evernote, because it can sync across iPhone, desktop, and webpage, I have access to my Scrivener-enabled work anywhere.

Wo
Wordslinger

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:10 am Post

mymoon wrote:Here's how I've come to use Scrivener (and why I'd love to just have Scrivener on iPhone): I do my writing at my desk on Scrivener. Before I leave my desk for any significant length of time, I copy and paste my writing into Evernote and sync it so it can be available on my iPhone for editing on-the-go. Then, if I've made any Evernote edits while away from the desk, I open my desktop version of Evernote, sync, and copy/paste back into Scrivener.

This is somewhat a hassle, but I'm dependent on Scrivener as a writing tool at my desk AND I need access to my work-in-progress while away from the desk. Evernote, because it can sync across iPhone, desktop, and webpage, I have access to my Scrivener-enabled work anywhere.

That is pretty much my on-the-go workflow, except I use WriteRoom. After I copy the text into Scrivener, I convert it to the default text style so it matches the existing text. I've been thinking about trying TextGuru since it has cut/copy/paste, but I haven't heard good things about it. I wish Apple would finally add copy/paste to the iPhone OS. It's 2009. We shouldn't have to beg for such a simple feature in this day and age.

I would love to have a Scrivener app on my iPod Touch. I wouldn't want my entire novel in my pocket, but I'd definitely want to use it for more than just writing notes. If a companion app for Scrivener is created, I'll buy it.

ro
rochefore

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:10 am Post

My journalistic work involves a lot of note taking and journal writing on the go. I just spent a month in Asia, carrying notebooks with me all over the place, hiking, traveling on buses and trains, even cycling. It was a nuisance. And back home again I had to type it all into my MacBook to make it quickly accessible for writing. Sick of this, I decided to buy an I-Pod-Touch, upon the recommendation of a friend.

And it turns out to be fantastic. Yes, it takes time to learn how to write quickly on the touch keyboard. But all in all I got rid of a lot of boring routine work. The thing is really small. It sits there in my pants pocket like a small wallet. I press just one button and I can start writing. Since I only use it for this purpose battery life is tremendous.

Keith, I have told you again and again how much I like Scrivener. It is a stroke of genius. It has become the home of my professional life.

And this is why I would very much like to have some sort of very simple, very basic Scrivener on my I-Pod-Touch. Just something that I can take notes with and sinc over to my Scrivener on MacBook via Wifi.

Well, these are my "ten cents' worth" (or however that saying goes in English).

All the best to you, and thanks again for Scrivener,

r

mr
mrkwr

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm Post

What I do when I want to type notes on the iPhone is use OmniFocus, which syncs automatically back to the Mac version. I use the task name for the note title and put the text in the note field for the task.

Although I do have an OF project for article ideas, I find it best just to leave the note in the Inbox, so that it presents itself for action back on the Mac. Depending on the nature of the note, it might then get moved to Scrivener, or to Journler, or into the relevant OF project.

Works well for me but only recommended if you're already using OF - too expensive to justify otherwise.

ro
rochefore

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:54 am Post

Thank you for the hint. I had already considered OF but don't like the program very much. It seems -- at first sight -- very complicated and packed with too many features that I will never use.

Best,
r.

xiamenese

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:51 am Post

Not wishing to rain on Keith's party, but you guys might like to look at:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5091

:)
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ro
rochefore

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:19 am Post

Thank you, xiamenese. I just checked the Scribbler website and there is no syncing planned at this point. Quick and easy syncing is really what I am looking for.
r.

xiamenese

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:22 am Post

rochefore wrote:Thank you, xiamenese. I just checked the Scribbler website and there is no syncing planned at this point. Quick and easy syncing is really what I am looking for.
r.

From the Scribbler website on syncing:
This feature will probably be included in a future release of Scribbler™.
I've started looking into using Bonjour to synchronize to Scrivener projects. This will require some desktop code either built-into Scrivener itself (preferred) or a standalone drag-drop app that would talk to Scribbler™ using Bonjour. This probably won't be in place in the first release--although if I make enough progress on how to build this it may be. Synchronizing will also require some work on getting Scribbler™ to handle the RTF format used within Scrivener projects.

And an earlier portion of the site says he has email transfer from Scribbler to Scrivener already in the pipeline, which is a beginning, even if not the "quick and easy syncing" you're looking for. I can well imagine that quick-and-easy syncing for the end-user is not so quick-and-easy for the developer.

It just seems to me that Wizlord is more likely to get something out that works, even if not in version 1, than Keith is. This is not to disparage Keith, as he is clearly hard at work on versions 1.5 and 2 of Scrivener, and he has been silent on this topic for quite a while, so my guess it's very much on the back burner.

Please note, I have no connection with Visual Newt Software, I do not have an iPhone and am unlikely to get one in the near future, given my location and the probable technical problems of being able to use one bought here on return to the UK. I may buy an iPod touch for other reasons, but with every respect and admiration for Wizlord's work, I will be unlikely to use Scribbler on it, as my use of Scrivener is totally different. And I am also unconnected with Literature and Latte apart from being a longish-time user of and a great evangelist of Scrivener whenever possible, though that too is somewhat difficult in a location where people believe there is Microsoft and Microsoft, and have it firmly instilled in them that nothing Mac is compatible with Windows and Chinese.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …