ScrivNote for iPhone - feedback requested!

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:09 pm Post

WriteRoom now has an iPhone app.
Reviewed today on the MacWorld site.

http://www.macworld.com/article/137182/ ... c=rss_main

ma
machoflaco

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:58 pm Post

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this app. I love Scrievner and want to be able to access and sync my stuff. Thanks!

In
InklingBooks
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:23 pm Post

The idea seems intriguing, but it might only make sense if it did autosyncing, and that might take more time than it is worth for Keith. Those who're interested in writing with their iPhone or iPod touch and moving the result to Scrivner, might look into:

1. WriteRoom for the iPhone. I believe it will autosync with a Mac. Import the result. No need for two text editors that do the same thing.

2. Evernote's iPhone version. Evernote is becoming enormously popular. It'll let you sync notes or whatever on all your gadgets via the Internet. I use it to move ideas, notes and weblinks between my MacBook (used elsewhere) and my iMac (confined to my apartment). For limited use, it's free: http://www.evernote.com/

For the poster who needs a way to handle more complex, structured documents, the best idea might be to encourage the Omni Group to bring out the iPhone version of OmniOutliner that they're considering. Combine that with a Scrivener that can import from OO, keeping all the structure, and that problem would be solved.

--Mike Perry, Seattle

ye
yeehaa

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:03 am Post

Too bad, ever since I bought an iPod Touch (and later an iPhone) this has been my most-wanted app. As opposed to most people on this board, I actually think scrivener for the iphone would be extremely useful for on-the-road editing, note-taking and (even) writing, since the combination outliner/word processor/editor breaks longer texts up into manageable, small ones. Write Room simply is not an alternative, because there is no way to structure your documents in a similar way. Just like toralfsan, I am also a non-fiction writer and simply love Scrivener. It has now become the only reason for me to take a laptop with me on trips. For everything else – even mind mapping – I use the iPhone…

Maybe Keith could consider to work together with a developer of an iphone outliner app (zeptotools for instance, their zeptoliner offers a lot of editing/word processing functions for an outliner) They might be willing to develop a synchronization plug-in for scrivener…

Si
Sirmausalot

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 pm Post

Don't be shy about making some money off your great program -- point update or potential iPhone tie in. If you want, you can give some profits to charity, but you certainly deserve it. Even a 1.99 iPhone app could pay off.

Also, your bulletin board program e-mailed me my own password. I hate that as it's so unsecure. Now I have to delete the e-mail, dump it from my trash, that whole thing. Is there a way to not have it do that?

De
Deb Allen

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:06 am Post

The main reason I want a Scrivener app is to read scriv files on my iphone. I don't want to write, and the whole transfer into rtf or doc palaver is irritating. I just want to go to a cafe, read my wip and write the next bit in my paper notebook. Any way of doing that now? I upload all my files to AirSet.
Deb

Typo

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:12 pm Post

Wi
Wizlord

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:39 pm Post

You may also want to look at the Scribbler™ thread

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5091&p=42743#p42743

or
orb
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:56 am Post

Instead of making an iPhone app, perhaps a plug-in system could be added so that app writers could write a plug-in to pass data back and forth. You wouldn't be limited to just one iPhone app, or the iPhone/iPod touch, but could write glue to import/export from any software. Keith could focus on Scrivener after that :)

pink

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 pm Post

I love my iphone, and would certainly try out any app you build. I was wondering though - I wouldn't type a huge amount, but I might make notes as I think of things on the run.

It's also realistic to think that I might consider recording some notes verbally. Would that be beyond the scope of a simple app though? I don't really know how easy or hard it is to build them.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm Post

pink wrote: as I think of things on the run.

So that`s why we haven`t heard from y` :? Y`re doing a Ned Kelly!! Evading the Man!! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pink

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 pm Post

oh, it's bad - I love my iphone. I even uploaded pictures of hubby at the pencil museum in keswich to facebook just because I could. And download stupid games because they are there.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:38 pm Post

y` don`t let your kids read your posts do y`? :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

dm
dmath

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 am Post

I just learned about Scrivener today, haven't even downloaded it yet. As I was reading about it I had two thoughts. First, it looks great and second, it would be fantastic to be able to import notes from the iPhone. I discovered this thread when I accessed the forum to suggest an iPhone app.

Having read through the posts, I now see that seems unlikely. I wonder, however, if it might be possible to leverage existing apps to accomplish most of what we want. There are a number of good note apps, at least one of which appears to give a folder/file structure. There are also a number of apps that allow file transfer to/from the iPhone. Maybe all we need is an easy way to import these into Scrivener. Note that I haven't tried this yet but if it works it could be the next best thing, and certainly easier from a development standpoint.

David

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:05 pm Post

Try this thread. Someone is already in the process of developing an application for authors, and one of its intended features will be a kind of compatibility with Scrivener.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles