Writing a series on Scrivener

mw
mwm
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:34 pm Post

Hi,
I'm writing a long ten book series, with ALOT of notes on world building and such not related to just characters and places.
I'm new to the application, and noticed it has project folders for novels, but cannot find one for a series.

How would you recommend formatting on Scrivener?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:38 pm Post

Scrivener is not for formatting. Focus on the writing.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:40 pm Post

If you haven't already, be sure to review the Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu.

You can create as many folders and subfolders as you like, breaking your project down to whatever level of granularity you want.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

mw
mwm

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 pm Post

kewms wrote:If you haven't already, be sure to review the Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu.

You can create as many folders and subfolders as you like, breaking your project down to whatever level of granularity you want.

Katherine

Do the folders follow the same principles as the Character and Setting ones? Or are those specially encoded to be present throughout the whole document?
Really new to this; so I don't know all the specifics.
Would a single project of that file size slow the application down?

Hu
Hugh

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 am Post

mwm wrote:
Do the folders follow the same principles as the Character and Setting ones? Or are those specially encoded to be present throughout the whole document?

I don't use the novel template, so I can't answer your questions on this - but you should find the answers in the templates section of the Scrivener Manual (under the Help menu) - Chapter 6.10 I think.

mwm wrote:Really new to this; so I don't know all the specifics.
Would a single project of that file size slow the application down?

No, it should not, unless the individual documents (i.e. chapters and/or scenes) are very large or contain lots of images or large images. One of the key advantages of Scrivener is that it is designed in such a way that it only takes from your hard disk into memory the documents you're actually working on at the time. People successfully use Scrivener to create projects that are very large overall.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

kewms

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 pm Post

mwm wrote:Do the folders follow the same principles as the Character and Setting ones? Or are those specially encoded to be present throughout the whole document?
Really new to this; so I don't know all the specifics.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question.

The Character and Setting folders have document templates assigned to them. You can assign templates to folders you create, or not, as you prefer. But any folders you create are going to be visible in the Binder.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Mi
Michrichwood
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 am Post

I found this article:https://gwenhernandez.com/2014/10/16/writing-a-series-in-scrivener/

Might be helpful? I think it’s a matter of personal preference.

Fi
Fitch
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:33 am Post

FWIW: I created a Book 1 top folder to archive the finished book of my 5 book series, then command selected the three acts and moved the finished book from Manuscript to be under the Book 1 archive folder. After that I made new Act folders and began outlining Book 2 under the Manuscript folder. All the character data, research, etc. I had for the first book of the five book series is still there. So far it's working just fine.

Fitch

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm Post

Starting with the "manuscript" aka "draft" folder, you can create individual folders for each book. Inside each of those, you can have a series of chapter folders with scene documents in them, or a series of chapter documents without any chapter folders if that's the way you prefer to break your book into chunks.

You may have to adjust the section types that are automatically assigned (I suggest you really look into the tutorial or online guides on how to do this), so that what you think of as a chapter assigned the "chapter" section type, what you think of as "part" folders are assigned the "part" section type, etc...

But once you've done that, the compile dialogue has a few settings, such as letting you choose a sub-folder of the Draft to use as the source of your compiled document; just choose the "book 3" folder as that source, and it will ignore the book 1 and book 2 folders.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".