Cooperation in Scrivener?

an
andegerd
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm Post

I love Scrivener and am writing everything longer than two pages in Scrivener (into my second book doing so), using both Mac and iOS. Super!
I miss one feature: a "track changes" function, which would help a lot when my texts are being edited.
In iOS I would also love to be able to see footnotes. Or have I missed something?

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:49 am Post

In regard to your Mac tracking question, read about Snapshots in the PDF manual , Chap. 15.6, Pg. 222:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/docum ... df#page202
(The manual is also in the Scrivener app.)

Read about iOS Scrivener footnotes in the PDF, page 14:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/docum ... torial.pdf
(This is the tutorial that comes with iOS Scrivener in PDF format.)
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Hu
Hugh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am Post

I seem to remember that elsewhere in these forums, Keith commented in response to previous suggestions of "Track Changes" functionality that it was something that would require very significant development resources, more than he (as the sole macOS and iOS developer) had available at the time. It seems to be more complex to programme than might first appear. Whether Keith still feels that way, I've no idea. As implied above by scshrugged, Snapshots in Scrivener comprise an alternative, as do Comments, Inline Annotations and, to a more limited extent, Revision Marking. All in all, though Scrivener doesn't have Track Changes, it's well-supplied with tools for revising and editing.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

nontroppo

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 pm Post

Well, snapshots are superior in their ability to track differences over time. They are inferior in tracking who changed things over time (though note "track changes" has a limit on how much is changed by multiple authors before it becomes a jumbled soup of confusion).

The thing I very much miss, given that the Binder guides you to divide and conqueor, is being able to look at a set of named snapshotted documents together. This wouldn't be difficult to do (compile filter) as all snapshots are documents themselves.

xiamenese

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:18 pm Post

When working with my collaborator in China, I used named snapshots. I take one before I start editing a document, which I give her name, and another when I stop editing it, giving that snapshot my name. That way, I can see what she has changed by looking only at the snapshots with her name. That way, she doesn't have to remember to do it.

I use Revision Marking—unfortunately she is on Windows, so until Windows v. 3 is out she doesn't have that facility—and we both use inspector comments, where she wants me to give an opinion or has a comment on a change I've made, and for me to explain why I have made the changes I have. It works well.

However, the OP doesn't say whether his collaborator(s) also use Scrivener, but I presume from his request that they use Word. In such circumstances, I would accept the changes, then import the Word document, open it in a split editor, and compare it with my current version to make the changes or not as the case may be.

As for being able to open the equivalent of a Scrivenings session for snapshots, it sounds attractive but I wonder if I would ever make any use of it. That said, once you try something like that, you end up wondering how you ever lived without it … bit like Scrivener itself! :D

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …