Portable techniques

Da
David G.
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm Post

How do others use Scrivener on their portable device? For me that is the iPhone platform but others may have another portable platform as Scrivener is also sold for the Windows OS. I understand that there is a Scrivener portable app now? I have never used it. In fact, I have yet to purchase any app from the app store. But of course, if Scrivener has a portable (mobile?) app and it is really good for the job I would consider making that first app store purchase (shivers).

What I am using now is Notes. I have learned that opening Notes on my Mac will allow me to quickly and automatically update notes on my iPhone. I have an iPhone 5s so the screen is far to small to worry about formatting. The only task that I really use it for taking a break from my writing desk, walking outside, perhaps having a cigar, and with my headphones on, giving what I have written a good listening to.

I can catch and correct errors here and there but if there are a lot of them and much rewriting is called for then I go back and have it read aloud in Scrivener at my desk and make changes there, pausing and repairing my dialog.

And yes, this goes both ways. I use iOS spoken dictation in Notes when I want to capture some new thought or idea. That is also available nearly instantly on my desktop notes so I just copy and paste any notes to my Scrivener document.

I was wondering if I am missing what the benefits would be to (my own) use of a portable version of Scrivener? I can see it if I had an iPad and a larger writing surface perhaps. But notes seems to be doing the job so far as reading it aloud is all I am using it for.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 pm Post

I use Scrivener on my iPad on airplanes, bus rides, and in various other places where I don't feel comfortable working on the lap top.

For quick random notes I use the iOS app Drafts (version 4). It can send my notes to the Scrivener Scratch pad on Dropbox?

You never downloaded an app from the app store?? I've probably downloaded over a hundred apps. Some really good, some pure rubbish, including a few games. Life ahouldn't be only work. :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

de
derick

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:45 pm Post

I've found that I often prefer using Scrivener for iOS for reorganization of complex documents. It takes some practice to figure out all out but there's less risk of accidentally dragging something where you don't want it, but I think there's probably also a cognitive process going on where it's using different parts of the brain. Just like printing out and editing on paper or writing by hand (or listening to work read aloud) it give another point of entry to the writing process.

Me
MerodakBaladan

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:28 pm Post

I use Scrivener on my ipad mini 2 mostly for editing when in the car, bus, plane, etc. Easier than the laptop and phone for editing, but not so great for thumb-typing long bits on the fly. Still, terribly pleased with it.

kewms

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 pm Post

I use Scrivener on the iPad mini + external keyboard constantly for notetaking. For organizing and outlining from those notes I tend to go back and forth between the iPad and the desktop/laptop.

I have it installed on my iPhone, but rarely use it there. That's more a result of my environment than anything to do with the application, though.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

br
brett

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:02 am Post

I almost never use Scrivener on my iPhone 5s. Screen's just too small, I use IAWriter or Apple notes for noe taking on my phone. I use Scrivener extensively on my iPad Pro, almost as much as on my Mac. A Bluetooth keyboard helps considerably, and you can find some so light and thin that it's easy to keep both the iPad and keyboard with you practically all the time.

re
reepicheep

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 pm Post

I use it on my iPad almost as often as I use my Mac copy. As I write for several hours every day that is a lot of Scrivener-ing. I use it on my iPhone almost exclusively when I'm out of the house and using the iPad is inconvenient (shopping, walking, commuting—even the small size of iPad takes up too much space when standing on a London Underground train packed in tighter than one is on a Tokyo bullet train). As others have noted the dimensions are such that iPhone usage can be a problem but all forgiven for an integrated writing environment. The one thing that really bugs and irritates me is the time it takes to open a project and wait for "Updating search indices" to complete when using the iOS version.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:59 pm Post

reepicheep wrote:The one thing that really bugs and irritates me is the time it takes to open a project and wait for "Updating search indices" to complete when using the iOS version.

I don't think that's normal. Try opening that project on your Mac, hold the OPT key and select "Save and Rebuild Search Index" (or simiilar--I'm working from memory here). I was experiencing the same thing recently, but rebuilding the search indexes fixed it.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

re
reepicheep

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:55 pm Post

rdale wrote:
reepicheep wrote:The one thing that really bugs and irritates me is the time it takes to open a project and wait for "Updating search indices" to complete when using the iOS version.

I don't think that's normal.
I don't either. And I'm not the only one who has issues with the speed of that phase of the app's initialisetion.
rdale wrote: Try opening that project on your Mac, hold the OPT key and select "Save and Rebuild Search Index" (or simiilar--I'm working from memory here). I was experiencing the same thing recently, but rebuilding the search indexes fixed it.
Um, rebuilding the indices on the Mac speeds it up. Rather than taking up to a minute for that phase to complete it takes 10 seconds (immediately after save/rebuild).

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

rdale

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:29 pm Post

reepicheep wrote:Um, rebuilding the indices on the Mac speeds it up. Rather than taking up to a minute for that phase to complete it takes 10 seconds (immediately after save/rebuild).

How odd. The only thing that takes time for me is when it is when it's "Downloading file list...". I never get that rebuilding search indexes message at all, except when there's something wrong with one of my projects. Rebuilding search indices eliminates that message permanently for me. I think I've had 3 (out of about 20) projects with this issue, which I think stems from the latest project format upgrade process.

Is it possible that a different project needs its search indexes rebuilt too?

re
reepicheep

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:04 pm Post

rdale wrote:Is it possible that a different project needs its search indexes rebuilt too?
Tried that with much the same result. Projects that took a minute to open take about 10 seconds after the indices rebuild. This issue affects pretty much all of my Dropboxed projects. Only new created ones seem to be immune and that only until I've had several documents into the Binder. Thereafter it's the usual.

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

rdale

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:29 pm Post

Does a copy of your project (via Save As) exhibit the same problem? Are there conflicted files in the project bundle?

mc
mclark
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:17 pm Post

Looking to get an ipad mini 2 for use with scrivener. My friend says the 32 GB gets used pretty fast. How much space does Scrivener take up?

re
reepicheep

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:15 pm Post

The Scriverner app itself takes up a handful of megabytes. The rest is what you save to it; local projects, which will never sync via Dropbox, and your sync-able projects. My Scrivener folder on Dropbox takes up 220Mb on my Mac. The same folder takes up 220Mb on my iPad.

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1