Anything to share about Scrivener 3.0?

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:54 pm Post

subgeniuszero wrote:My question, though is this: Will there in fact be any improvement in Scrivener's ability to handle ordered lists and outlines and things of that nature? And maybe support for embedding videos? And better tables? And maybe some more page layout stuff in there, too? Just curious, cause I'd really love to be able to kick MS Word to the curb once and for all!
—Andy H.

If you've been following all KB's posts which mention Scrivener 3, you will know that Apple has made no improvements to lists and tables in their Text Kit, on which Scrivener depends, and on how KB would love to be able to provide better support for them, and why that is out of his scope as the sole developer of the Mac and iOS versions of Scrivener.

As for embedding videos, I can't remember anything being mentioned on that, or on page layout other than support for styles.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

thomas.rabenstein
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm Post

Ähm ... no ... I'm not lion-hearted enough to ask if there are any news ... 8) 8) 8) 8)
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

ma
markusbern

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm Post

wait for January, it is still April

Rover

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:59 am Post

If April comes, can January be far behind? :wink:

Ta
Tacitus

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 am Post

Since Scriv 3 is in private beta testing would it be possible to give us a clue as to how the move to 64bit will affect users? Will it run on Sierra only, Sierra and El Cap with anything earlier left in the cold or whatever? Would be useful to know, especially for those on older versions of OSX.
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

Sc
ScriverTid

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm Post

KB wrote:The hard part is going to be letting our Windows users down gently.

Fear not. Using Windows, they must be used to that on a daily basis... :D

Sc
ScriverTid

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 pm Post

Tacitus wrote:Since Scriv 3 is in private beta testing would it be possible to give us a clue as to how the move to 64bit will affect users? Will it run on Sierra only, Sierra and El Cap with anything earlier left in the cold or whatever? Would be useful to know, especially for those on older versions of OSX.

Anything after Lion (i.e. from 10.8 onwards) is 64 bit, so a 64-bit Scrivener should run on a Core 2 Duo Mac or later running 10.8 or later. Unless I've misunderstood something? I'm staying with 10.9 Mavericks for various reasons, so I'd hope Scriv3 would be supported.

kewms

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:34 pm Post

Tacitus wrote:Since Scriv 3 is in private beta testing would it be possible to give us a clue as to how the move to 64bit will affect users? Will it run on Sierra only, Sierra and El Cap with anything earlier left in the cold or whatever? Would be useful to know, especially for those on older versions of OSX.

I don't have an answer on this specific question, but there will definitely be systems that can run 2.8.1, but cannot run 3.0. You'll want to verify that your own devices are supported BEFORE installing the upgrade.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

nontroppo

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 am Post

ScriverTid wrote:... so a 64-bit Scrivener should run on a Core 2 Duo Mac or later running 10.8 or later. Unless I've misunderstood something?

Yes, new programming API additions and upgrades are made in every release of macOS. That means an increasing burden on developers to support older and older versions of the OS (or complex custom code and potential bugs to keep feature parity). Or it stop developers from using improvements to the OS to try to keep backwards compatibility. Personally, if you use Apple hardware and software, Apple have made it clear that hanging on to outdated versions of the OS comes at a cost. They strongly encourage users to upgrade (which most do), and encourage developers to use new and improved APIs. Number of bits is only part of this equation...

Sc
ScriverTid

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 am Post

nontroppo wrote:Yes, new programming API additions and upgrades are made in every release of macOS. That means an increasing burden on developers to support older and older versions of the OS (or complex custom code and potential bugs to keep feature parity). Or it stop developers from using improvements to the OS to try to keep backwards compatibility. Personally, if you use Apple hardware and software, Apple have made it clear that hanging on to outdated versions of the OS comes at a cost. They strongly encourage users to upgrade (which most do), and encourage developers to use new and improved APIs. Number of bits is only part of this equation...

Yes, I understand this. Yet it is amazing how much sophisticated software is out there - for example Photoshop CS6 and very recent versions of FileMaker (Apple's own app) - which runs on all Macs back to Snow Leopard. My guess is that some developers either don't want or need to use those later API upgrades, or somehow manage to skate or work around them. In the case of multi-platform software like Photoshop, FileMaker, and Scrivener, this would be especially true I imagine.

Bi
Bivalve

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 am Post

I'm certainly going to upgrade (early 2014 macbook air), but Scrivener 2.whatever is so powerful that I can't really imagine what more 3.0 is going to offer. I write with it. I don't program. If I had a machine too old for the upgrade, I would not be concerned. I would just yawn when I heard the news, and keep writing.

Now, if I needed some super-sophisticated new way to compile that breaks my masterpiece into haiku length stanzas every legal sheet length of paper and only the latest set of of - and 0's would do, why then I would get online with Apple and get some snazzy new machine. The cheapest ones are powerful enough to subdue a Studio Ghibli short. They can certainly Scriven.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:10 pm Post

ScriverTid wrote:Yet it is amazing how much sophisticated software is out there - for example Photoshop CS6 and very recent versions f FileMaker (Apple's own app) - which runs on all Macs back to Snow Leopard. My guess is that some developers either don't want or need to use those later API upgrades, or somehow manage to skate or work around them. In the case of multi-platform software like Photoshop, FileMaker, and Scrivener, this would be especially true I imagine.

Or those software packages are produced by very large companies with large teams of developers, many of whom are tasked with tracking and compensating for those API gaps and do nothing else with their day.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Me
MerodakBaladan

Mon May 01, 2017 9:45 pm Post

It's May!... I walk downstairs, look at the Christmas tree. Nothing under it yet. Walks back upstairs to bed.

David Munch

Tue May 02, 2017 6:41 am Post

MerodakBaladan wrote:It's May!... I walk downstairs, look at the Christmas tree. Nothing under it yet. Walks back upstairs to bed.

No no, its... Maynuary! Time for 3.0!

xiamenese

Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 am Post

devinganger wrote:
ScriverTid wrote:Yet it is amazing how much sophisticated software is out there - for example Photoshop CS6 and very recent versions f FileMaker (Apple's own app) - which runs on all Macs back to Snow Leopard. My guess is that some developers either don't want or need to use those later API upgrades, or somehow manage to skate or work around them. In the case of multi-platform software like Photoshop, FileMaker, and Scrivener, this would be especially true I imagine.

Or those software packages are produced by very large companies with large teams of developers, many of whom are tasked with tracking and compensating for those API gaps and do nothing else with their day.

And of course you can bet your bottom dollar that neither of those apps are based around TexKit. Apple doesn't use it for Pages, so it's unlikely that FileMaker uses it.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …