Anything to share about Scrivener 3.0?

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:45 am Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:
kewms wrote:(Yes, I agree that the poster is probably fishing. But some people might actually be confused on this point.)

Hi Kathrine, All,

The "poster" has a name - he's called "Thomas". ;-)
No, I am not fishing and won't ask any more questions since it's not taken seriously.
This one just came up because in the Support forum of Quark XPress (DTP App) it has been discussed too and the technical support was recommending not to update to the new APFS right away when available since there may be some adjustments needed to the App, to make it work without issues. Since Quark XPress projects have a similar complex format structure and can grow pretty huge, too, I was just wondering if this has any impact to my large Scrivener project files - either for good or bad. Sorry if I asked a stupid question but since the new file system format is a serious change and even not compatible to earlier macOs versions, I though to better ask.
Sorry if it appeared to be boring ...

Regards,
Thomas

Was neither boring nor stupid to me, Thomas. Glad you asked and glad you got an answer. Knowledge is good.
Account closed January 2017

thomas.rabenstein
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:52 am Post

rdale wrote:but I'd be more worried about Dropbox (if you use it) than Scrivener.

Yes, at this time, I am preferring to use Dropbox for syncing, not considering iCloud Drive or macOs Desktop sharing (last of both seem to work at least "reasonable" between my macs but not reliable).

So even if I'm running the risk to be under suspicion for fishing again, why do you see an issue with Dropbox coming?

Greetings,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am Post

Dropbox has to be much more aware of the implementation details of the filesystem to do what it does than most applications do; hence, it has to hook into the filesystem APIs. Applications by and large don't have to -- they just have to use the filesystem and can ignore the messy implementation details. Think of it like kids eating at summer camp -- most kids will just line up at mealtime and eat the food presented, but the kid with food allergies has to be more aware of what's going on in the kitchen.

As long as they keep consistent file, folder, and metadata semantics, Scrivener will probably be just fine.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

rdale

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:09 pm Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:
rdale wrote:but I'd be more worried about Dropbox (if you use it) than Scrivener.

So even if I'm running the risk to be under suspicion for fishing again, why do you see an issue with Dropbox coming?

I don't see any issues with Dropbox coming. But on a continuum of risk from "Hakuna Matata" to "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!" derived from a new file system, Scrivener is nearer to No Risk than Dropbox, because Scrivener does entirely mundane things with files and folders, whereas Dropbox has to rely on services from the OS to effectively monitor changes to files and folders.

In most instances, I think of risk in terms akin to "micromorts*" rather than binary on/off states. Being "more" worried is just a state of worry relative to whatever your baseline is for worrying.

* http://www.sciencealert.com/this-unit-o ... activities
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

thomas.rabenstein

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 pm Post

rdale wrote:In most instances, I think of risk in terms akin to "micromorts*" rather than binary on/off states. Being "more" worried is just a state of worry relative to whatever your baseline is for worrying.

I did not know about the micromorts yet. Reads very interesting. :)
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

thomas.rabenstein

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:36 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote:Was neither boring nor stupid to me, Thomas. Glad you asked and glad you got an answer. Knowledge is good.

Thank you much for your comment. I appreciate it.
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

Br
Briar Kit

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 pm Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:
Briar Kit wrote:Was neither boring nor stupid to me, Thomas. Glad you asked and glad you got an answer. Knowledge is good.

Thank you much for your comment. I appreciate it.

Pleasure. You asked a question I was interested in. Thought it entirely appropriate. Cheers.

Freundliche Grüße

thomas.rabenstein

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:39 pm Post

... I was hoping 3.0 is coming under the Christmas tree ... is not?
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

se
sero

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:55 pm Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:... I was hoping 3.0 is coming under the Christmas tree ... is not?

It would be a terrible idea to do a major release right before the holidays, because it usually involves an enormous uptake in support requests. Apple’s AppStores are closed over the holidays anyways, so L&L would not even have the chance to push an emergency update in case a major bug slipped in.

Let us all (users and L&L staff) just have a nice time over the holidays and come back refreshed in the new year. I hear Scrivener is celebrating its 10th birthday in January :wink:

thomas.rabenstein

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:02 pm Post

sero wrote:Let us all (users and L&L staff) just have a nice time over the holidays and come back refreshed in the new year. I hear Scrivener is celebrating its 10th birthday in January :wink:

These are very good and true words.
I want to take the chance to wish all Users and the L&L staff a Merry Christmas and Happy new Year. :)
I will use most of the time between now and January 2017 to work on my novels. Scrivener is my central and key App for writing and production. I am very happy L&L continues to develope this awesome application for Mac and iOs. :)
See you all next year!

Happy Holidays,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

KB
Site Admin

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:21 pm Post

Thanks! We're also taking two weeks off over the holidays to spend time with our families and refresh for next year. We should have news about Scrivener 3.0 in January.

Happy Christmas!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

nontroppo

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:07 pm Post

You all deserve a great holiday!!! Keith and the gang, you've all done an amazing job, pushing Scrivener 3 towards its birth while also launching the brilliant Scrivener for iOS, surely exhausing but you must be proud of what you've achieved.

No lumps of coal for L & L!!!!!! 8)

Br
Briar Kit

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm Post

Agree with nontroppo, save that you need at least one lump of coal as it will bring good luck.

And as Keith and L&L are Cornwall based, here’s a little nugget of Cornish pleasure.

https://youtu.be/zOOMXhJH9g0

devinganger

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:39 pm Post

My son Alaric would be ecstatic to get a stocking full of coal for Christmas.

Of course, he's into blacksmithing and finally has a home forge set up after 3 years of teaching the Metalworking merit badge at a local Scout Camp...
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Br
Briar Kit

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:55 pm Post

devinganger wrote:My son Alaric would be ecstatic to get a stocking full of coal for Christmas.

Of course, he's into blacksmithing and finally has a home forge set up after 3 years of teaching the Metalworking merit badge at a local Scout Camp...

Way cool. Practical smithing or artistic work? Live in an old cottage and have a number of bespoke pieces made by blacksmiths. Some really beautiful work.