Anything to share about Scrivener 3.0?

markfasano
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 pm Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:Gosh, you guys play hardball. :) Some little hints to feed the fans of your work - just once in a while - would be nice and so desired. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation, because she never cackles until the egg has been laid. So said famous software developer Abraham Lincoln.

thomas.rabenstein
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:48 pm Post

Yeah, actually Abra is right ... I guess I know this guy from a dart competition in a pub near Stuttgart (Germany). 8)
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

thomas.rabenstein

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:15 pm Post

Is your team planning to run a beta-program on Scrivener 3 for Mac?
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

rdale

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:55 pm Post

As far as I'm aware, their beta program for major releases is by invitation only. I've never seen them post it publicly that I can recall. More minor revisions sometimes are posted to viewforum.php?f=17, but it's been a while since the last open beta.

I have seen hints that v3 for Mac might come out this year, but that the Windows version 3 will likely be months behind it. Also, I think the more open teasers for version 2 for Mac may have soured them on the practice; there's a copycat developer who would use screenshots to create features that had the same look in advance of the Scrivener release, making it appear as if Keith were the copycat. And I'm not talking about borrowing a few ideas; it almost looks like a different release of Scrivener 2 itself.

NOTE: This is my own take on the developer-who-shall-not-be-named... No one at Lit & Lat has expressed any opinion on developers completely aping Scrivener's design. In fact, Keith's pretty magnanimous about competitors (see the entire page of alternatives to Scrivener posted on Lit & Lat's own site: http://literatureandlatte.com/links.php), and so as a fan of his work, I may be more upset about it than he will ever be.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:58 pm Post

rdale wrote:As far as I'm aware, their beta program for major releases is by invitation only. I've never seen them post it publicly that I can recall. More minor revisions sometimes are posted to http://literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17, but it's been a while since the last open beta.

I have seen hints that v3 for Mac might come out this year, but that the Windows version 3 will likely be months behind it. Also, I think the more open teasers for version 2 for Mac may have soured them on the practice; there's a copycat developer who would use screenshots to create features that had the same look in advance of the Scrivener release, making it appear as if Keith were the copycat. And I'm not talking about borrowing a few ideas; it almost looks like a different release of Scrivener 2 itself.

NOTE: This is my own take on the developer-who-shall-not-be-named... No one at Lit & Lat has expressed any opinion on developers completely aping Scrivener's design. In fact, Keith's pretty magnanimous about competitors (see the entire page of alternatives to Scrivener posted on Lit & Lat's own site: http://literatureandlatte.com/links.php), and so as a fan of his work, I may be more upset about it than he will ever be.

In May, "this year" was stated for the next major update.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34576&p=214247&hilit=Year+3#p214247

In September, the tutorial for V3 was being written.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36194&p=223701&hilit=Tutorial#p223701

Be great to see V3 this year, but Keith's recent post makes it sound as though 2017 is more likely.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36971&p=226966#p226966

Like most people, I'd rather have it well baked than undercooked. :D
Account closed January 2017

ma
matsgz

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:09 pm Post

I know that a beta testing is going on. Not participating in it though :cry: as my trusty old MacBook (late 2009) won't run Sierra. Still happy with excellent 2.8 and iOS, but curious if also the final release will run only with OS Sierra. Has anyone picked up anything on that? Could decide if I'll need to invest in new hard-ware. As I said, my present set-up gets the job done, but I'm sure that 3.0 will include plenty of goodies (and give me an excuse to take another look at MacBook 12in).
Scribo ergo sum

kewms

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:32 am Post

Scrivener 3.0 will use the 64-bit Apple libraries. This should improve stability and reliability -- Apple seems to be letting maintenance of the 32-bit stuff slip -- but it will impact backward compatibility.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

thomas.rabenstein

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 am Post

kewms wrote:Scrivener 3.0 will use the 64-bit Apple libraries. This should improve stability and reliability -- Apple seems to be letting maintenance of the 32-bit stuff slip -- but it will impact backward compatibility.

Hi Katherine,

Does it mean Scriv 3.0 will introduce or change the current container format (project file) once released?
Will it still be compatible to the iOs version for syncing or does your team plan a general update for both platforms once Scriv 3 is ready?

Greetings,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

kewms

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:44 pm Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:Hi Katherine,

Does it mean Scriv 3.0 will introduce or change the current container format (project file) once released?
Will it still be compatible to the iOs version for syncing or does your team plan a general update for both platforms once Scriv 3 is ready?

Greetings,
Thomas

The project format will change.

The iOS version already understands the new format, as Scrivener 3 was already well underway when iOS Scrivener was written.

Cross-platform Windows-Mac users may want to delay updating until Scrivener 3 is available for both.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 am Post

kewms wrote:Cross-platform Windows-Mac users may want to delay updating until Scrivener 3 is available for both.

Now you tell me! I bought a used Mac Mini off Amazon earlier this week because the aging collection I have are all too old to run Apple's latest and greatest OS version.

...kidding. Well, not about buying the used Mac, or why. I have to have the latest version of MS Office on a Mac so I can help support Outlook for my day job, and my ancient iMac has been slower than molasses lately -- and the Mac Mini will fit into my KVM and let me use my lovely 34" monitor and clicky expensive keyboard, not sit there like the iMac taking up precious desk space and requiring a separate screen. So actually finding a relatively new Mac Mini with 10GB of RAM for a decent price just gave me the excuse I needed to pull the trigger. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

thomas.rabenstein

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:36 pm Post

Hi,

Just read more details about the coming APFS which is a modern filesystem for the Mac, supposed to replace the old HFS+, which was developed when floppy disks had their golden age.

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... ction.html

Since the APFS release has been announced for early 2017, I wonder if the new file system will work well with the coming Scrivener 3.0.

Greetings,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

rdale

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:43 pm Post

Scrivener doesn't do anything special with the local filesystem. It just creates files & folders and expects instantaneous access to any file that the user might select via the binder.

Scrivener works fine on various Windows filesystems, so there's no reason to believe that it'll fail on a new Mac FS unless the file system has some serious bugs--in which case it'll affect a lot of other programs, including OS-level services. I'm sure Keith and company will do some testing before release, but I'd be more worried about Dropbox (if you use it) than Scrivener.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

devinganger

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 pm Post

He probably already knows that; it looks like he's still fishing for more details on 3.0 after being told multiple times L&L will release information when they're ready.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

kewms

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:30 am Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:Since the APFS release has been announced for early 2017, I wonder if the new file system will work well with the coming Scrivener 3.0.

Why wouldn't it? Why wouldn't any program?

The whole point of the operating system is to shield the application programs from this level of detail. Scrivener doesn't know what the file system is, and doesn't need to care.

(Yes, I agree that the poster is probably fishing. But some people might actually be confused on this point.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

thomas.rabenstein

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:41 am Post

kewms wrote:(Yes, I agree that the poster is probably fishing. But some people might actually be confused on this point.)

Hi Kathrine, All,

The "poster" has a name - he's called "Thomas". ;-)
No, I am not fishing and won't ask any more questions since it's not taken seriously.
This one just came up because in the Support forum of Quark XPress (DTP App) it has been discussed too and the technical support was recommending not to update to the new APFS right away when available since there may be some adjustments needed to the App, to make it work without issues. Since Quark XPress projects have a similar complex format structure and can grow pretty huge, too, I was just wondering if this has any impact to my large Scrivener project files - either for good or bad. Sorry if I asked a stupid question but since the new file system format is a serious change and even not compatible to earlier macOs versions, I though to better ask.
Sorry if it appeared to be boring ...

Regards,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher