Hiding/Collapsing Annotations/Footnotes

cy
cyberbryce

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:56 am Post

KB wrote:Well, the tech guy didn't, but I posted on the dev forums and the Apple text guru who my tech guy actually consulted (it turns out) got back to me... So... Hmm, maybe it will be back in after all! We shall see... Everything I said earlier, applies, mind - about all annotations and/or all footnotes being hidden at one time etc.
Best,
Keith

Sounds great! I think this would be easier to read on projects with lots of notes, and perhaps it enables a gentler adaptation for those used to a word processor. Further, when you wish to read the notes, perhaps you won't be thrown to some other part of the document in a jarring notion as in most word processors. It seems like it could be the best of both worlds. Thanks, Keith!
--Bryce

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:24 pm Post

:) :lol: :) :lol: Yay for the return, possibly, of collapsing footnotes! I like a and f too for notations, but if there is a reason why they don't work and these work better, I'm quite sure we'll all happily adapt!

Thanks so much for persevering on this, Keith!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:37 pm Post

I was originally going to have a "cf" and "fn". But all of the annotation/footnote is collapsed to zero-space, so it needs something very small (if you were to have an annotation with no space between it and the preceding letter, the marker would get drawn behind the text, so it has to be minimal).

Anyway, my thinking was, sure "a" and "f" make sense to us English speaking folk - but what about non-English folk? An asterisk is pretty universal for "see note" and "n" is often used for "number". So, that was my thinking...

All the best,
Keith

si
signinstranger

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:25 pm Post

Return of the Son of Collapsing Footnotes wrote:Anyway, my thinking was, sure "a" and "f" make sense to use English speaking folk - but what about non-English folk? An asterisk is pretty universal for "see note" and "n" is often used for "number". So, that was my thinking...

Can you make it customisable? It's impossible to satisfy those who want something visible and those who would rather have something hidden (see Scrivener Icon thread #12 & #35)

antony

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:39 pm Post

Ah, that's a good point. Curse my anglophilism.

How about * and , then? Or and ? "n" for "number" just doesn't seem intuitive to me.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:29 pm Post

That's not a bad idea - it's also thinner than "n", which is a good thing.

signinstranger - making it customisable would cause problems, I think, as it would be best to use narrow characters given the space available. Making it a free choice would lead to complaints about drawing problems etc.

All the best,
Keith

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:39 pm Post

Anthony's option 1 (don't know how to get the fancy t thing (and don't care right now(as you can see parenthetical abuse continues (whose grumpy old man complaint was that again?)))). the double t thing will confuse certain vic-k personalities, not to mention drunken pigeons.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

antony

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:57 pm Post

Alt-t.

† † † † † † † † † † † :D
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

alexwein

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 am Post

KB wrote:Anyway, my thinking was, sure "a" and "f" make sense to use English speaking folk - but what about non-English folk? An asterisk is pretty universal for "see note" and "n" is often used for "number". So, that was my thinking...

Oh, yeah... :oops: :oops: Good point.
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

KB
Site Admin

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:55 pm Post

Update: Unfortunately hiding and showing annotations and footnotes just isn't going to happen. Yes, I know, I know, I'm gutted too. I turns out that even the fixed code was still buggy as all hell and would throw exceptions and stop typing working in rather obvious situations. Given that my Apple DTS man has gone quiet and stopped responding to my e-mails sometime ago and I haven't heard anything back from the developer lists, there's really nowhere else to go with this. Suffice to say, I didn't renew my ADC account. :roll:

Best,
Keith

No
Novatlan

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:08 pm Post

:(
Sad, but understandable.
Perhaps you could try to ask other developers. Mamby they have a solution.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:29 pm Post

When I said I had no response from the developer lists, that's exactly what I meant. The reason you don't see hidden text in any Cocoa apps is that no one knows how to do this...
Best,
Keith

TC
TCC

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:46 pm Post

Sadly, the inability to collapse and hide footnotes is probably the main drawback preventing from me from doing my work in Scrivener. For me this feature is a must. Maybe sometime a way will be revealed. Thanks for an otherwise stellar app.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:32 pm Post

There is another way I can think of to hide annotations and footnotes. Again, it would require either all annotations and/or all footnotes to be hidden at once. This way would also mean that they would have to have the same state in both panes - so if you hid annotations in one pane, they would also get hidden in the other. It would also mean clearing the undo stack whenever annotations or footnotes were hidden, though, which is annoying. It should work, though. Dunno.
Best,
Keith

No
Novatlan

Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:01 am Post

I have an idea, maybe its a dumb one, but I'll describe it nevertheless:
What if every file would exist 2 times within a scrivener project. one file would contain all annotations and footnotes and would be the one the user works with.
for example blahblah /annotation/ blahblah (footnote)

The second file would contain refernce numbers instead of the annotations/footnotes
for example blahblah /a1/ blahblah (f1)

Then you could basically do a "project replace" when the user wants to hide footnotes. Just replace all footnotes with their respective numbers in the other file. When the user wants to see the footnotes again, make it the other way round. Dito for annotations.

I know its kind of jackish, but it should work.