Scrivener 2.6.5 Svelte Icons

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:46 pm Post

rfreeborn wrote:
Is 2.6.5 on the Mac still compatible with 1.8.6 on Windows. If not, is there a timeline to realign them?

Thanks,

Richard

I would think not, which is why I've put 2.6 in a separate applications folder within my user account, and 2.6.5 in the main Applications folder. That way, any project that I collaborate on with my friend, I will continue to edit in 2.6; any project which for the moment is "For my eyes only" is converted under 2.6.

As to a timeline for compatibility, maybe LAP or Tiho_D will find time to comment. It's certainly going to become important as people upgrade to El Capitan. But what do I know? :)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:59 pm Post

2.6.5 is not compatible with Windows 1.8.6, for the same reasons it's not compatible with earlier Mac versions. There will be a Windows beta using the new file format out before the end of the month, in time to maintain cross-platform compatibility with the new Mac release.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:59 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:2.6.5 is not compatible with Windows 1.8.6, for the same reasons it's not compatible with earlier Mac versions. There will be a Windows beta using the new file format out before the end of the month, in time to maintain cross-platform compatibility with the new Mac release.

Hi Jennifer

I know the change is down to future compatibility with iOS Scrivener, but what exactly is the change (as the format is still RTF)?

Thanks

Briar Kit
Account closed January 2017

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:37 am Post

There will be a Windows beta using the new file format out before the end of the month, in time to maintain cross-platform compatibility with the new Mac release.

One can assume this will also mean that files converted/created using the new Windows beta will not be backwards compatible with ver. 1.8.6? Which will also break compatibility with the Linux beta version.

Is this new format a move away from the formerly transportable RTF file format, as it seems to appear?
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

xiamenese

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:48 am Post

Graybyrd wrote:
There will be a Windows beta using the new file format out before the end of the month, in time to maintain cross-platform compatibility with the new Mac release.

One can assume this will also mean that files converted/created using the new Windows beta will not be backwards compatible with ver. 1.8.6? Which will also break compatibility with the Linux beta version.

Is this new format a move away from the formerly transportable RTF file format, as it seems to appear?

The docs are still in RTF format, my guess is that it's the .scrivx side of things that has changed. But perhaps Jen or someone more knowledgeable will give a more informed answer.

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 am Post

Graybyrd wrote:Is this new format a move away from the formerly transportable RTF file format, as it seems to appear?

No. Why would it seem to appear this way?

Graybyrd wrote:One can assume this will also mean that files converted/created using the new Windows beta will not be backwards compatible with ver. 1.8.6? Which will also break compatibility with the Linux beta version.

Indeed, but there will of course be an updated Linux beta based on the new Windows build which will also use the updated file format. Those who need compatibility in the meantime can just use the existing builds of the program. But we will have builds for all platforms around the same time, it's just that the Windows and Linux versions will be betas at first.

Briar Kit wrote:I know the change is down to future compatibility with iOS Scrivener, but what exactly is the change (as the format is still RTF)?

Since Scrivener 1.0, all RTF files inside the .scriv package have used numerical IDs. But numerical IDs are not suitable when syncing across multiple platforms, because there is no way to guarantee that newly-generated IDs will be unique. So, if the user has a project open on the iPad and on the Mac, and creates a new document on both, both versions could end up creating a document with an ID of, say, 47. When syncing, Scrivener would think they were different versions of the same document, when in fact they should be treated as different documents.

In the new version, each document now has a UUID associated with it, which is guaranteed to be unique at the time of generation. For now, this UUID is an additional piece of meta-data inside the .scrivx file alongside the numerical ID (which is still used to find the file on disk), but this is a transitional format; in the next major (paid) update of Scrivener, UUIDs will supplant numerical IDs entirely. In 2.7, UUIDs are also used in the RTF files to represent Scrivener links, and are used in several other places.

Because the mobile version only uses UUIDs, certain XML elements in the .scrivx file - such as the template folder setting - now use the UUID value instead of the numerical ID, too.

Essentially, there was no way for the existing file format to work well when syncing with mobile versions if we were to allow the user to have the project open on the desktop and on a mobile device at the same time, and no way for us to make the updated file format backwards-compatible without some data loss. You could, however, edit the "versions.txt" file of a Scrivener 2.7 project to make it open in earlier versions of Scrivener - but you would lose the template folder setting and all Scrivener links.

We don't take decisions like this lightly, because changing the file format can be a pain for users - especially cross-platform users - and it is also a pain for us in terms of support. It is necessary, though, and moving toward a system of UUIDs rather than numerical IDs is an improvement across the board.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:05 pm Post

Dear Keith

Thanks for satiating my curiosity with such a detailed and open reply (and for your reply on the other thread about the black box during conversion). Completely understand the need for the change. Glad to know that forward-thinking decisions are made and then implemented. Keeps the software strong and relevant.

Bestest

Briar Kit
Account closed January 2017

rf
rfreeborn
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:00 am Post

Jennifer and Keith:

Thank you for your answers. I suspected as much but wanted to be certain. :)

I'm looking forward to the updates.

Richard

ptram

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:33 pm Post

I like the new icons and UI details very much! It' still Scrivener, but fresher and lighter. Very nice work!

Paolo

KB
Site Admin

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:56 am Post

ptram wrote:I like the new icons and UI details very much! It' still Scrivener, but fresher and lighter. Very nice work!

Paolo

Glad you're liking it! We'll be continuing to refresh the UI with next year's major update.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

pigfender

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 pm Post

Don't like the new icons. Any chance we can go back to the ones from version 1.x?
:D :wink:

Okay, I'm kidding. But if you could turn down the brightness a bit, they burn my eyes.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:19 am Post

pigfender wrote:But if you could turn down the brightness a bit, they burn my eyes.

https://justgetflux.com/ :D
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:06 am Post

With the all important “Darkroom” Mode, of course!

.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pigfender

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:53 am Post

Change the colour balance / scheme of my laptop just to correct a couple of icons? Surely we can all get on board with the whole not using neon thing? :(
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

KB
Site Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:22 am Post

pigfender wrote:Change the colour balance / scheme of my laptop just to correct a couple of icons? Surely we can all get on board with the whole not using neon thing? :(

They're not neon. We love the new icons, and most of the feedback is positive. If you don't like the new style, you might want to keep running OS X 10.9, because we are just running with the modern style of icons used across OS X - cf Pages and Numbers, which we always uses as good models.