Scrivener 2.6.5 Svelte Icons

Br
Briar Kit
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:27 pm Post

The beta for 2.6.5 is out. Love the clean new svelte icons.

Take a look …

icons1.png

icons2.png
Account closed January 2017

Br
Briar Kit
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:54 pm Post

And the format bar...

formatbar.png
Account closed January 2017

User avatar
SarsenLintel
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:57 pm Post

Nice. Thanks for the pics.

Eagerly awaiting this update - which is odd because 30 minutes ago I didn't know scriv needed a UI refresh. But now "Oooh, shiny. Can't wait." :lol:

Br
Briar Kit
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:06 pm Post

Welcome.

The new UI (especially on El Cap) does make Scrivener feel more modern and pleasing to look at (IMO). The icons don't look so "heavy" at the top of the window. Far more subtle. Think the designers have done a really good job: familiar, but more slick and refined.

There is a new file format as well (which is not backwards compatible).
Account closed January 2017

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20718
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:32 pm Post

I'm really glad you're liking the updated UI! We were going to hold off on the UI refresh until 3.0, but as that's taking longer than hoped (I originally wanted it out this year, but with all the OS X updates, I'm spending time making it as modern under the hood as possible so that it has a solid groundwork for the next ten years of development), we decided to spruce up 2.7 a bit. There are still plenty of areas that need work for full modernisation - the Preferences and such - but that will all be coming. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Br
Briar Kit
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 pm Post

KB wrote:I'm really glad you're liking the updated UI! We were going to hold off on the UI refresh until 3.0, but as that's taking longer than hoped (I originally wanted it out this year, but with all the OS X updates, I'm spending time making it as modern under the hood as possible so that it has a solid groundwork for the next ten years of development), we decided to spruce up 2.7 a bit. There are still plenty of areas that need work for full modernisation - the Preferences and such - but that will all be coming. :)


A welcome improvement, IMO.

Scrivener's functionality is more important than its looks, but a nice step towards 3.0 all the same.
Account closed January 2017

es
especiale
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:45 pm Post

Really the new icons look very nice. Good Job!
I have used in the past beta versions of Scrivener without any issue. Should I trust this new beta and drop version 2.6 (Mac) which I found very stable and complete?
Thanks.

Br
Briar Kit
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 pm Post

You can download and try it without deleting your current installation.

But if you commit to it, do note that it has a new file format that is not backwards compatible. When you open an existing project, Scrivener tells you it needs to convert the project. It then makes a backup of the project (in the same folder) and completes the conversion. A converted file cannot be opened in a previous version of Scrivener (though you will still have your backup).

Has been perfectly stable on the three Macs I have tried it on, but it is a beta build…
Account closed January 2017

User avatar
nontroppo
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Airstrip One

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:00 pm Post

Oooooh, new icons, and all the little UI refreshes (Inspector, formatting bar etc.) are are luuvrlery!!!

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4080
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:01 pm Post

Downloaded and installed in parallel with 2.6.0, even though I haven't been using the 10.11 betas.

I really like the new look — very clean and smart — and particularly the fact that you've moved the inspector icons to the top of the pane, rather than the bottom … brings it more into line with the rest of the layout and they're more handy in their new position.

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Br
Briar Kit
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am
Platform: Mac

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:25 am Post

xiamenese wrote:Downloaded and installed in parallel with 2.6.0, even though I haven't been using the 10.11 betas.

I really like the new look — very clean and smart — and particularly the fact that you've moved the inspector icons to the top of the pane, rather than the bottom … brings it more into line with the rest of the layout and they're more handy in their new position.

:)

Mr X


Why hadn't I noticed that? :?

Agree completely.

You're on 10.10, Yosemite? Must look slightly different to the images above, given the new system font in 10.11. I also have an old Mac on 10.7.5; the new UI looks good on that, but not as fresh (obviously) as on 10.11.
Account closed January 2017

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4080
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:48 am Post

Briar Kit wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Downloaded and installed in parallel with 2.6.0, even though I haven't been using the 10.11 betas.

I really like the new look — very clean and smart — and particularly the fact that you've moved the inspector icons to the top of the pane, rather than the bottom … brings it more into line with the rest of the layout and they're more handy in their new position.

:)

Mr X


Why hadn't I noticed that? :?

Agree completely.

You're on 10.10, Yosemite? Must look slightly different to the images above, given the new system font in 10.11. I also have an old Mac on 10.7.5; the new UI looks good on that, but not as fresh (obviously) as on 10.11.

Yes, I'm on 10.10. Neither of my computers have enough SSID space to let me partition them, and no way am I going to commit a working machine to a beta OS. I'll wait till 10.11 has been out for a while and then upgrade, when I know all my apps are working happily on it.

I'm not sure it looks that different. What's the new system font?

Mr X

Screenshot 2015-09-12 08.39.55.png
2.6.5 icons on 10.10.5
Screenshot 2015-09-12 08.39.55.png (34.77 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 23718
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 am Post

The new system font is "San Francisco", which as you might guess by the name was designed by Apple, originally for the Watch. It has a weight and feel that is much closer to the older Lucida Grande font, less wire and more stout. I like it, it's a subtle difference, but a good change. I wasn't terribly fond of Helvetica everywhere like in 10.10. It's a nice font, but for UI, it just felt a bit weak to me. Point of trivia, San Fran is also the font used for the keyboard on the new MacBooks.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4080
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:22 am Post

AmberV wrote:The new system font is "San Francisco", which as you might guess by the name was designed by Apple, originally for the Watch. It has a weight and feel that is much closer to the older Lucida Grande font, less wire and more stout. I like it, it's a subtle difference, but a good change. I wasn't terribly fond of Helvetica everywhere like in 10.10. It's a nice font, but for UI, it just felt a bit weak to me. Point of trivia, San Fran is also the font used for the keyboard on the new MacBooks.

Thanks.

I've never had any problem with the Helvetica in 10.10. I'm not too concerned with such details of System UI interface, as long as it's clean and readable … even changes to icons and their colour, as long as it's subtle, pass me by completely. What matters to me is usability, accessibility and lack of clutter, so for me the really great interface change is the move of inspector icons to the top of the pane; it just feels like the right place for them and that they should always have been there.

When it comes to output to the page though, fonts do matter, so I find TNA utterly boring, and will always go for a well-balanced and kerned font like Adobe Garamond Pro — by contrast, the Garamond that comes, or used to come with Windows, I find incredibly ugly, unbalanced and badly kerned. And I'm still trying to settle on a font for iBooks, and Kindle and Kobo e-Readers.

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

rf
rfreeborn
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:21 pm Post

Reading the following:

When you open an existing project, Scrivener tells you it needs to convert the project. It then makes a backup of the project (in the same folder) and completes the conversion. A converted file cannot be opened in a previous version of Scrivener (though you will still have your backup).


Is 2.6.5 on the Mac still compatible with 1.8.6 on Windows. If not, is there a timeline to realign them?

Thanks,

Richard