How about that review in the NYT?

Ro
RodiX
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:01 pm Post

Come here in Paris, you'll get some real cheeses (you know, the ones it is forbidden to sell outside of the country), and some real bread.
Some short stories in French.

werebear

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:58 pm Post

And the article looooved your desktop icon!

As I do.
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 pm Post

Your comment would have more weight if I had been stuck on this continent my entire life. I've lived all over the world. Now if you want a truly scary place for cheese, try Russia; and granted, yes, vast chunks of the U.S.

werebear wrote:And the article looooved your desktop icon!

I saw! Take that you icon naysayers!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Amaru

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm Post

Keith, the NYT article is fantastic, and well deserved. It's amazing that while I was reading it, I felt part of the Scrivener community, and proud of it. Congratulations again.

zu
zuzu

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 pm Post

The NYT article in mentioned on slashdot.org, one of the more enduring nerd discussion sites http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/0 ... hreshold=2

Scrivener is mentioned and there is a link to L&L in the front page summary.

antony

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:55 pm Post

Merlin just mentioned it on 43Folders, too. Looks like Keith is getting a late Xmas present! :D
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

alexwein

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:38 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland We have excellent cheese Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland and beer Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland Portland and bread, too.

And TEA, lots and lots of incredibly delicious TEA!!!! In PORTLAND, OREGON. To go with the excellent cheese and bread!!! I challenge all you nay-sayers and insulters who claim we in Portland Oregon don't know good cheese when we eat it to actually visit and eat some of our amazing cheese and other foods and drink for yourselves before you make such inflammatory statements!! (Can't speak for the beer since I can't stomach the stuff.) 8)

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

ptram

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:25 am Post

antony wrote:Merlin just mentioned it on 43Folders, too. Looks like Keith is getting a late Xmas present! :D

Get some licenses for Scrivener, while they are still available. I fear there will be a sudden shortage of them during the next weeks...

Paolo

ptram

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:33 am Post

alexwein wrote:And TEA, lots and lots of incredibly delicious TEA!!!! ... To go with the excellent cheese and bread!!!

Drinking tea with cheese?!? Oh, no, not that again... aaargh... All the good taste of cheese, washed out by a tea...

Each cheese has to go with the right wine, the one capable of intensifying its taste. Nothing else. Even if I can understand strong beer with heavily seasoned cheeses (like long seasoned Gorgonzola, Roquefort, or Harbourne Blue, and a La Trappe).

Paolo

cooner

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:01 am Post

Another link to the NYT article from Daring Fireball. http://daringfireball.net/

Came here to see if it'd been seen yet, and, apparently it has. But congrats anyway. Glad I bought in when I did! :)

ma
matt

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 am Post

All this talk of cheese is reminding me... I hate cheese, and the more expensive the cheese, the more I hate it.

Now I can handle a slice of tasty cheese in a salad sandwich... anything else, forget it!

[Edit: 2 typos in one post... I blame the keyboard]
Last edited by matt on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

xiamenese

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:26 am Post

ptram wrote:
alexwein wrote:And TEA, lots and lots of incredibly delicious TEA!!!! ... To go with the excellent cheese and bread!!!

Drinking tea with cheese?!? Oh, no, not that again... aaargh... All the good taste of cheese, washed out by a tea...

Each cheese has to go with the right wine, the one capable of intensifying its taste. Nothing else. Even if I can understand strong beer with heavily seasoned cheeses (like long seasoned Gorgonzola, Roquefort, or Harbourne Blue, and a La Trappe).

Paolo

Wow! ... you know Harbourne Blue! Fantastic ... but even better in my opinion is Beenleigh Blue (sheep's milk ... Harbourne is goat's milk), and Devon Blue (cow's milk) is pretty good too ... all made by the same people in Devon.

As a tea (Chinese and Darjeeling) aficionado, I have to say that I don't think tea goes with cheese, but chacun à son goût!

Mark

cy
cyberbryce

Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 am Post

zuzu wrote:The NYT article in mentioned on slashdot.org, one of the more enduring nerd discussion sites http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/0 ... hreshold=2

The Slashdot comments appear to repeat the refrain, "duh, don't use a word processor for writing, use vi!"

:shock:

zu
zuzu

Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:42 am Post

cyberbryce wrote:The Slashdot comments appear to repeat the refrain, "duh, don't use a word processor for writing, use vi!"
That's slashdot for you, something isn't mainstream until a /. drone can suggest an open source alternative. There is one positive comment from someone using it for a creative writing project.

Nice title (Goodbye Cruel Word) too!

ptram

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:42 am Post

xiamenese wrote:Wow! ... you know Harbourne Blue! Fantastic

It was a discover of some years ago, and there are a couple specialized groceries, in my area, that carries it. Nice to know of the other British Blues you suggest.

And concerning tea with cheese: hu, maybe with this thread I just discovered a new taste that I will start to love. All considered, Alexandria cannot (by definition) be totally wrong...

But associating food and beverages is an art, where transgression shouldn't go against a few basic rules, or you simply risk to - how awful! - lose true, prolonged pleasure, in exchange of a few bits of immediate pleasure.

Paolo