Spell & Grammar checker

ds
dswellhauser
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:12 am
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 am Post

KB wrote:Pretty much all programs across OS X excepting Word and OpenOffice use the standard OS X spelling and grammar checker, so I strongly disagree that this is a "fail for the program". The spelling checker is good enough for Pages and Mail, for instance, and for most users (it's not something that's ever really come up as an issue before). As a single developer, it would make no sense to invest major time and investment on a new spelling- and grammar-checking system when there is already one built into the text system with which the vast majority of users are happy, and to which they are accustomed from other programs.

(I do also tend to think that an over-reliance on spelling- and grammar-checkers beyond basic spell-checks is an evil of the computer age. :) )

All the best,
Keith


I would disagree with the sentiment, but not the restrictions on your time.

If, however, you wish to develop your product to fit the needs of a professional customer base, beyond the hobbyists, you will need to think about putting together a software development team and then finding some investors. You have a winning idea, but it is only working for creative types and hobbyists at the moment. To grow your company/brand you need to look at the next level of development, which will reach a much broader audience.

So, I've had my say, and I won't to posting anymore. I actually have a job which I need to get back to.

PJ
PJS
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:05 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Upstate New York

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 pm Post

If I read ds correctly,
    1. He is too busy being productive to edit his own copy, relying instead on software
    2. Creative/artistic/design folk (Mac users) are not productive the way that PC folk are (which may explain our ignorance of sophistry)
    3. Most things OSX are lazy
    4. The current Scrivener user-base comprises hobbyists, of whom some unspecified number may be "creative types"
    5. If Keith wishes to hob-nob with the Jobses and Gateses, he'd better hit the IPO trail
    6. Few, if any, current users actually have jobs, back to which they need to get.
Speaking of sophistry...

... and why didn't his grammar checker catch that sentence-ending preposition?

I was tempted, reading
dswellhauser wrote:I won't to posting anymore.

to say, Deo gratias, but in fact, we shall miss him. Perhaps he will to posting again.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm Post

dswellhauser wrote:If, however, you wish to develop your product to fit the needs of a professional customer base, beyond the hobbyists, you will need to think about putting together a software development team and then finding some investors. You have a winning idea, but it is only working for creative types and hobbyists at the moment. To grow your company/brand you need to look at the next level of development, which will reach a much broader audience.


This is hugely patronising. We already have a very large professional customer base that includes winners of the Hugo Award, Booker-nominated authors, Doctor Who writers, bestselling authors and many more. Just because I am a lone developer (with a supporting team) does not mean we do not have a broad audience. Far, far from it. It is fine to say that you wish for a different grammar or spell-checker, but it is unreasonable to try and argue for what you want by claiming that we will reach a larger customer base or that Scrivener is for hobbyists only unless we do as you say, when you have no knowledge of our business. Trust me, we don't need investors. :)

Regards,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Hu
Hugh
Posts: 2444
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: UK

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:53 pm Post

nom wrote:The built-in OS X spelling dictionary is good enough for me. In fact, it is better than most (if not all) of the others I have used with the added benefit that any new words I add are available across all my apps (with the irritating exception of Word). I much prefer it this way and would, as evidenced by my experience of Word, be frustrated if every app had its own dictionary.


I couldn't put my views better.

nom wrote:I have yet to see a (non-human) grammar checker that is beyond superficially useful.


In my experience, current grammar checkers can often prove to be the antithesis of useful - they can be 'anti-communication' tools.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Jo
Joao
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 am
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 am Post

The built-in OSX dictionary is certainly good enough for English (and perhaps the other languages it comes with). Unfortunately, the thesaurus is only available in english (and perhaps a couple of other languages?).
Now... I'm not saying that Lit&Lat should develop their own dictionaries, but I do feel its time that a number of independent developers that take advantage of OSX's dictionaries got together and found a way/someone to implement new dictionaries. There are a few languages (portuguese for one) that have no thesaurus in OSX nor in any third party program. The only portuguese thesaurus (priberam flip - while excellent) is developed by a company that makes it compatible with Microsoft word (which already has one), but no other program.
Is there no way for independent developers to come together and put some pressure either on Apple to implement new foreign dictionaries or other companies with experience in spelling programs to provide an alternative? Lit&Lat is not alone in relying on Apple's dictionaries, so it would make sense to lobby with the other developers for more multilingual dictionary support in OSX, or for current developers to move away from the Microsoft monopoly and allow integration with other programs....

best.
joao

ja
jairodrake

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:23 am Post

If they solely use Apple's system for spell and descriptive linguistics checking that's a fail for the program. Any data processing program desires an honest spell and descriptive linguistics checker that you simply will modify to your desires. after all employee is regarding writing and solely writing however that doesn't mean we have a tendency to should not serving to to enhance it and alert others to flaws within the style. I've ne'er found descriptive linguistics checkers to be something quite large annoyances, therefore I way back created a habit of now turning the "feature" off in any program that provides it. If Word's works for you, then by all suggests that run your compiled document through that for polish,

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4183
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am Post

jairodrake wrote::.. . after all employee is regarding writing and solely writing however that doesn't mean we have a tendency to should not serving to to enhance it and alert others to flaws within the style. I've ne'er found descriptive linguistics checkers to be something quite large annoyances, therefore I way back created a habit of now turning the "feature" off in any program that provides it.


:D :lol:
Hurray for spell and grammar checkers!! :lol:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
mikehalloran
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:44 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Contact:

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:49 am Post

Mid '90s? I had spell and grammar check on my Mac+ in 1986.— 3rd party but I won a copy at MacWorld 1986. I don't recall the name. MacWrite II had it in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_checker
Musician, Author, Editor

User avatar
Gattopardi
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:55 pm Post

My comment is more precisely for French Spell & Grammar checker. The leader on that is Druide Antidote. The fact is since the new Mojave's security system, this app cannot integrated anymore with Scrivener. The problem is remarkable, a fantastic regression, and has already been raised in a number of forum.
I hope that this will be resolved in one way or another. It would be a pity that French language authors can be forced to abandon the use of the wonderful Scrivener to return to the despotic word.
:cry:

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:43 pm Post

Gattopardi wrote:My comment is more precisely for French Spell & Grammar checker. The leader on that is Druide Antidote. The fact is since the new Mojave's security system, this app cannot integrated anymore with Scrivener. The problem is remarkable, a fantastic regression, and has already been raised in a number of forum.
I hope that this will be resolved in one way or another. It would be a pity that French language authors can be forced to abandon the use of the wonderful Scrivener to return to the despotic word.
:cry:


I don't think there's anything we can do about that, is there? I imagine this is down to Druide Antidode; it will need to be updated to declare its uses of Apple Events and such to Mojave's security measures so that Mojave allows it to run correctly.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

User avatar
Gattopardi
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 pm Post

You have right  ! And I have first write to Antidote. Their answer wasn't very constructive and they encouraged me to ask to you to provide an integration. I know that's more their job than yours…
Thanks a lot and best regards !

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 pm Post

What I can tell you is what I had to do for Scrivener. Scrivener uses Apple Events to communicate with MathType (it launches MathType and asks it to create an equation for Scrivener). When I built Scrivener on macOS 10.14, this would no longer work - it just failed silently - because Apple's new security measures prevented it from opening. To fix this, I had to provide the following key in Scrivener's info.plist file:

NSAppleEventsUsageDescription

That was all it took. However, if Antidote are also "notarising" their app with Apple, they will also need to add the "Apple Events" entitlement. Unfortunately I can't find a trial of Antidote available, so I am unable to test how it works with Scrivener myself, or to check whether it could be any of those things. (Someone else was saying that the problem was with Antidote 9 - could it just be that you need to update to Antidote 10?)

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

User avatar
Gattopardi
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:35 pm Post

I already own Antidote 10 and it doesn't work either with Scrivener.
Yesterday, I write to Antidote's help service in way to transmit your suggestion concerning Apple Events. I will complete my message with your latest clarifications on this issue. I hopes that they will take this into account and I will inform you of their possible response.
Thank a lot, Keith ! Your job is essential !

User avatar
Gattopardi
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 am Post

Hi !
Good news from Antidote 10. They will restore compatibility with Scrivener in a next update and before the end of the year.
All the best.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 am Post

Great! Thanks for getting in touch with them and keeping us updated here.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."