Spell & Grammar checker

ThisHereIsPete
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:43 am Post

I’ve found that the contextual menu bug (missing spelling suggestions) only happens while working on longer documents.

For example, in Scrivener I’ll see this bug in scrivenings mode, but not in document mode; in Apple Pages, only on multi-page documents.

I think it’s a Mojave bug.

cv
cvanhenten

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:50 pm Post

Great keep us informed when A10 is back ok with Scrivener

Gattopardi

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 am Post

Update Antidote 10.1.1 is now available and fits perfectly in Scrivener  !

rs
rsneha
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:13 am Post

Also check this site : https://grammica.com/spell-check

david_macrae

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm Post

There is actually a good grammar and spell checker app for the mac that has been around for a very long time. (since the 90s I think.) I very rarely hear it mentioned. I works as an app that can copy and paste and spell check an entire page.

It also installs as a grammar and spell check service. It can replace the built in MacOS grammar and spell check service and be used anywhere that the built in service can be used including scrivener.

It is a one off purchase no monthly charge. It is called Grammarian Pro 3.

jc
jcarman

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 pm Post

(Wonders why he's responding and…still he responds! :D )

A writing environment is not a word processor.

A writing environment facilitates the generation and organization of those words. The great strength of Scrivener is how it can bend to the writing process of a great many users, where that process can have great variation. Scrivener is about getting words out of the head and onto the screen/page.

Word processors focus on the particulars apart from the writing like stylesheets, citation, grammar, spelling, presentation, grade level, even usage in the previous category. They are about looks and metrics, among some others things, not creation.

I write on anything. My last concerns are of formatting and readability for others--while I am creating. To some extent these things do mix, but for the novelist, poet, playwright, songwriter, or even academic (as laden with formatting concerns as that world is) the words are the thing, first. Scrivener excels at allowing word-making.

Word processors format, industrial style. Word-making is about real toads dreaming in imaginary gardens telling the monkeys what to type :wink:

Teriodin
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 am Post

jcarman wrote:My last concerns are of formatting and readability for others--while I am creating. To some extent these things do mix, but for the novelist, poet, playwright, songwriter, or even academic (as laden with formatting concerns as that world is) the words are the thing, first.

I write novels. I edit as I go, and produce between two and three thousand 'clean' words per day. For me, a spelling and grammar checker is vital.

I once wrote a 'scrappy first draft' years ago, and it's still lying in the bottom of a drawer where it will probably stay forever, because I don't do whole-draft rewrites any more.

I write a scene, cycle back, fix errors, fix grammar, tidy syntax, rewrite 'clunky' parts, then I'm off and running for the next scene. Some sections might get three passes as I write, but when I'm done six weeks later, I have a finished novel that just needs loose-end-checking and proofreading before it hits my alpha readers.

After feedback I fix anything that isn't working, then it's usually ready for publishing.

We all work differently. :mrgreen:
-- Mythic Fiction Author, tells lies for a living.

jc
jcarman

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 pm Post

I do what you do. Scrivener accommodates that. That's my only point.