Feedback Wanted: How do you structure your Scriv projects?

Which of the following structures do you use in your Scrivener projects?

Book with Parts and Chapters: Parts folders containing Chapter folders containing text documents acting as scenes/sub-sections
25%
Book with Parts and Chapters: Parts folders containing text documents that each serve as a whole chapter
8%
Book with Chapters: Chapter folders containing text documents acting as scenes/sub-sections
28%
Book with Chapters: A bunch of text documents that each serve as a whole chapter
13%
Screenplays/scripts - a bunch of text documents each serving as one or more scenes
7%
Screenplays/scripts - other structure
5%
Essay or document using one of Scrivener's template formats
7%
Other (please describe in a reply)
8%

Total votes: 367
sp
spkruegs
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:40 am Post

I have an unusual structure, but I find Scrivener very helpful in compiling it through its use flat list collections. I have folders with different storylines that are told strictly in sequential order. Then, I have two collections. The first one combines all storylines in chronological order. The second collection combines the storylines in storytelling order. You could change up which one is in the binder and which two are the collections to match your preference. Perhaps my preference is to overcomplicate things haha.

denegroth
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:00 pm Post

I'm not very complicated. I wish the standard - chap. 1 chap. 2 If I'm given options I can work that into design somewhat, roman numerals, just the chapter numbers with a word - one, two

The folder for a chapter and the file in it for the actual text (called "scene") gets confusing if I try to work out the logic. Realizing scriptwriters (playwrights?) use this software I guess explains some of the terminology if I work past my arrogance as a novelist (which is asking a lot). When I hit the compile button and get what I'm after it doesn't matter much to me what things are called.

Controlling the text on a single page in terms of font, but also in column width, for instance, to create an introduction, or prologue/epilogue affair is something I begin to leap toward if I can see the possibility to do it. Doing some of these flourishes isn't readily obvious due to some of the naming of the commands, but if I run into a post here of someone trying to do something similar I can usually pull it off.

I've been trained to just type 60-char. wide pages double-spaced because the publisher makes all the print decisions. With the advent of self-publishing, and the possibility of working design into the finished product, but with the caveat the file types (kindle - epub) might generate results differently, a lot of dynamic potential comes into being. I won't pretend to have scratched the surface on this, but if I'm asked "What style" this might be sudden inspirationally driven - it might be arrived upon after much consideration and experimentation. It might be a one-time use for one work.

This sort of versatility is what the future demands. Who can meet this demand? Who is interested? We'll find that out when that future becomes the present, I guess. I do hope it's Scrivener. I really like the program (executable - application - app!)
Nothing so cuts at the root of happiness and fills with rage
as the sense that another rates low what one prizes high.
-Virginia Woolf-

rw
rwfranz

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:21 am Post

It depends, and what it depends on is the story and how it's told.

Sometimes I simply start writing, telling a story as it happens. One long 250k word document? I think Scrivener would gag, so those kind of stories are a series of documents, just under the Manuscript or Draft folder. No parts. No chapters. Just text. No separation of docs in the compile phase.

Some stories demand a bunch of different scenes, gathered in major story arcs, so the arcs become chapters, and the scenes stay in documents.

Some demand Major story arcs, and minor story arcs, so those are organized by Parts, Chapters, and Scenes. And, of course, there are novel series.

And if I'm writing nonfiction or essays, things are completely different. I might write an essay as a project, and it might have five documents, one for each phase of the essay, but associated with each document is the research that went into writing it (so if someone asks questions I can provide links to the supporting information).

I structure the project according to the level of complexity required.

So "all of the above" is the right answer.

Jo
JordanWyatt

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:52 pm Post

What is the most interesting part of this? I think the conclusion first.