App store -Best Apps

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:33 am Post

Congratulations to the Scrivener team on being included in Apple's Best Apps list

Can someone explain why some apps (e.g. Scrivener) don't appear in all the Best Apps lists? It does not appear in the list when I go into the App store.

I looked at the list yesterday and was surprised that Scrivener wasn't on it and then got a Facebook status with a link showing it on the list.

Confused!

https://skitch.com/foxtrot/gq9ah/fullscreen

KB
Site Admin

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 am Post

Huh, yes, that's strange - we are in the 20 best apps if you log into the US store, but not the UK store! Oh well, can't complain, I'm happy we're in there at all. :)

Actually, come to think of it, it might be because we don't sell into every country because of Apple's tax rules. So if they set up the page by region, then they might not have included us in the European list seeing as there are several European countries we don't sell into. Hmm, but we're not in the Canadian one either. Maybe it's done by total ratings? Who knows... Happy either way!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

fl
floatingbones

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 am Post

There's no exact way of knowing how Apple chooses the apps for each country. Positive ratings and reviews in the Mac App Store (MAS) are certainly a major factor in their decisions.

To the Mac users of Scrivener reading here:

If you have an issue or concern with Scrivener, please let Keith and his team know. On the other hand, if you think that Scrivener is the coolest thing since sliced bread, please let the world know. Reviews and ratings in the MAS will help other users find this wonderful research/writing tool. Brief stories saying exactly how you use Scrivener and why it works well for you make the most difference.

When a new version of Scrivener comes out, it's useful to update your review. If everything associated with your older review still applies to the new edition, it's entirely appropriate to refresh your review and/or your rating. Since Apple prevents any copying of text -- including your own reviews -- from the MAS, it's best to store your review text elsewhere. The simplest way to do this is to create your MAS reviews in Scrivener and paste them into the MAS.