Project Replace and format

an
andegerd
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 am Post

I did a Project Replace and wanted italics in the text which replaced the old. As far as I understand it is not possible to format the replacing text, at least not in that dialogue box. In a long document this is not ideal.
I keep plagueing you even on Valentine’s Day :lol:

KB
Site Admin

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 am Post

The replaced text will use the same formatting as the original text - exactly as every other Find and Replace panel works in other apps.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ni
nicka

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 am Post

I suppose that the question andegerd was raising was whether it is possible to add formatting in the find and replace operation, as in (most) word processors: e.g. to convert all instances of 'biased' to 'parti pris' in italics. As far as I know, it's not possible (not in Project Replace, nor in the document Find dialogue), nor is it possible to do the converse, that is to filter the search based on formatting: e.g. to find only those instances of a word that are already in italics.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 am Post

Yes, I understood the question and I think my answer made it clear that it's not possible. :) There are currently no plans for anything like that, sorry. But it's easy enough to do the traditional way - just do a project search for the term, then go through each document using cmd-F, cmd-G and cmd-I to find each term and italicise it. (It's not desirable to try to provide an automated solution for every conceivable task a user might want to perform.)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ni
nicka

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:49 am Post

OK. Sorry if my reply was redundant. I found the original exchange a bit confusing, hence the attempted clarification -- for the OP and any other readers of the thread.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm Post

It's a Monday morning - I can do nothing but confusing (and confused, befuddled, discombobulated...) on a Monday morning. :)

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm Post

nicka wrote:nor is it possible to do the converse, that is to filter the search based on formatting: e.g. to find only those instances of a word that are already in italics.

This one is possible--used Edit>Find>Find by Formatting... and set it to find by Character Format and then italics. You can search for just anything in italics or for a specific word, etc.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ni
nicka

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:32 pm Post

That's great: very useful. Thanks for letting me know. Strange that I never noticed -- although I think I know why: it's because I'm not used to this being in a separate dialogue from ordinary find and replace.

Oh, and Keith: me too. Me very much too.