Word processing key shortcuts

an
andegerd
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 am Post

KB wrote:
As for the moving of footnotes, in 2.0.3 you will be able to select some text, ctrl-click on a footnote in the inspector and choose to have it reassigned to the selected text.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Thanks, Keith! This was a good change in 2.0.3 and it seems to work fine.
Another request is to mark the footnote a bit clearer (for example a thincker frame) when I mark its reference in the text. Now it is difficult to immediately see which footnote it is.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 am Post

I agree, this is quite elegant. I notice though that it's possible to choose "move to selection" even when no text is selected, and if you do this, you delete the comment or footnote you were trying to move. Might there be a way to disable this option if there's no selection in the editor, or to automatically select the word to the left of the cursor and apply the comment to that the way it works if you create a note from scratch? I just foresee accidents happening with it as it stands.

...Ahaha, in fact, I notice I get a huge console report when I do this. ;) The NSATSGlyphStorage inconsistency just keeps going forever as long as the project window is in focus. It's quite exciting. On further testing, though, I think that part's a red herring and has to do with some other error, possibly from the project I'd closed just prior (though no idea what specifically--I was testing the divider line bug, but I can't reproduce the console error with that). The other big error where the HIToolbox ignores the exception is the one you get when moving a comment without a selection.
Attachments
movecommenterror.zip
console report
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 am Post

Seriously. Ruining. My. Morning. MimeticMouton.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 am Post

Eep. I know. I'm sorry. I'll bake you rye bread? And send it with beer?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

MimeticMouton

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:48 pm Post

Already fixed for 2.0.4! I'm sorry I ruined your morning, but you seem to have gotten over it. :) Put it back in its place, anyway. And moving the inspector comments/footnotes like this is a fantastic feature.

It's still possible to select an empty line and assign it a comment or footnote, which gets a slightly funky result since there's no text to link, which means the comment exists and you can see the shaded comment box, but you can't click the box to see which comment it is (making it a little trickier to reassign to where it ought to go). I doubt it's likely to happen much--presumably if you're moving a comment, you deliberately selected the the placement text--but there you are.

Now I'm going to be quiet and leave you in peace.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 pm Post

There's not much that can be done about that one, really, as it would involve preventing the user doing something he or she is deliberately trying to do and doing some extra checks when a quick cmd-Z on the part of the user will fix things if necessary. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 am Post

Good. I like your stubborn smiley face. :)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 am Post

That makes a nice change; most people usually want to punch it. :)

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 pm Post

KB wrote:That makes a nice change; most people usually want to punch it. :)

There's a marketing opportunity: Keith bobo dolls, sponsored by Scrivener!
Complete and utter NOMsense.

di
diggertoo

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:04 am Post

There are a couple of tools that I've found helpful in learning the Scrivener shortcuts. One is Dashkards and the other KeyCue. Both will pop up a helpful list of Scrivener shortcuts. Dashkards works with Dashboard. KeyCue works across a variety of apps.

http://dashkards.com/

http://www.ergonis.com/products/keycue/

an
andegerd

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:48 am Post

thanks