I am ga-ga for this software - is there dot-mac support?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:15 pm Post

Let's see... backup options....

My husband is an IT guy and therefore paranoid. Hence:
Daily backup of critical files to BackJack, an offsite service. Encrypted in both directions, they have redundant servers plus do their own offsite backups. First 2 GB included with monthly fee, but you can add as much as you can pay for to that. Runs automatically at the time I specify.

Weekly backup of critical files to DVD, via a script that hubby wrote. Runs as an iCal plugin. (Is running as I type, in fact.)

Monthly full backup to external hard disk via SuperDuper. External has room for four disk images, which I rotate through so that I have a four month archive at all times. Also do weekly incrementals to these using SuperDuper's SmartUpdate feature.

Mail and Quicken data live on a UNIX server in the basement, which is backed up to tape nightly. Copies of this data also live on my machine.

Paranoid? Me? Nah....

Katherine

freelancing

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:26 pm Post

CountZero wrote:If you already have a .mac account, you can just setup a scheduled backup in the Backup app to upload the .scriv file every X minutes.

Well, that just shows my ignorance! I set up my Backup app to do my backup automatically over a year ago and I've slept since then. :P

So, it's been a while since I dorked w/ the settings.

I think it would be nice if everytime you paused enough for scriv to do it's autosave, it would just autosynch instead of depending on a daily backup.

Not trying to be juvenile - I mean, daily back up is fine... but some days you can be really productive and churn out dozens of pages in one day... then before you can drag-n-drop (or have your scheduled backup), the drive could stick all four paws up in the air.

Perhaps I just give off a strong magnetic field - but I've had so many data failures over the years, I just get back-up parnoid and back-up crazy.

In 1998, a good friend of mine was killed in an auto accident. About a week later, my HDD died and all the e-mail I ever had from him was gone.

Since then, I've been a zealot for back-ups. Well, a year ago, my external HD was having problems. I tried doing a repair on it via my iMac and lo & behold, the HD in the iMac died - so no back-up, no original. I've got everything plugged into a power-conditioner surge protector. I was a good girl and did my backups, but still got kicked in the fanny... which is why I like the idea of an off-site backup.

So far, my .scriv file is only like 60K, so it's not like it would take up too much space on my .Mac acct.

Even w/o this being a built-in feature, I'm still ga-ga in love with Scrivner and want to have its cyber baby... so don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining... just was wondering if there was a feature built-in to protect me from my self-induced anxiety disorder. :D

Co
CountZero

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:31 pm Post

Come to think of it, I am sure a bit of Automator magic should be able to upload file to iDisk whenever the file is changed. That would satisfy the on-demand backup as well as being the least manual.

Lord Lightning

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:41 am Post

Another angle is to SMART check your drives.

This is free:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14825

:)
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

Ex
ExecutiveEditor

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:29 pm Post

freelancing wrote:
CountZero wrote:If you already have a .mac account, you can just setup a scheduled backup in the Backup app to upload the .scriv file every X minutes.

[snip]

I think it would be nice if everytime you paused enough for scriv to do it's autosave, it would just autosynch instead of depending on a daily backup.

.Mac can already do this. Simply go to the iDisk preferences in the .Mac system prefs pane and turn iDisk syncing on. Set it to synchronize automatically. Then save your Scrivener projects into your Documents directory on the iDisk.

Every time Scrivener autosaves, OS X automatically syncs the changed doc to your iDisk. And if you have more than one computer and have set up automatic iDisk syncing on them, the changes will be pushed out to them as well. Have three computers? You'll end up with three local copies and one offsite.

I save all of my important projects this way--currently 23 magazine articles, encyclopedia articles, and a book chapter in progress. It also means that, whichever computer I'm at, I can open any of the Scrivener projects and go to work, without having to transfer files back and forth.

Scott

ho
howarth

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:42 pm Post

ExecutiveEditor wrote:.Mac can already do this. Simply go to the iDisk preferences in the .Mac system prefs pane and turn iDisk syncing on. Set it to synchronize automatically. Then save your Scrivener projects into your Documents directory on the iDisk.

Every time Scrivener autosaves, OS X automatically syncs the changed doc to your iDisk. And if you have more than one computer and have set up automatic iDisk syncing on them, the changes will be pushed out to them as well. Have three computers? You'll end up with three local copies and one offsite.

This sounds great, but I'm just trying to understand it: move project files into the iDisk Docs folder, and they auto-synch to the iDisk at .Mac. I also backup my Home folder. Would I make a separate backup of the local iDisk?

Ex
ExecutiveEditor

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:55 pm Post

howarth wrote:This sounds great, but I'm just trying to understand it: move project files into the iDisk Docs folder, and they auto-synch to the iDisk at .Mac. I also backup my Home folder. Would I make a separate backup of the local iDisk?

I'm not sure I'm following your question. Do you mean, do you need to make a separate backup of the local iDisk for this to work? If so, the answer is no.

If, on the other hand, you're asking whether a backup of your Home folder also backs up the local iDisk (for an additional level of protection), the answer is likely yes, as long as your backup of the Home folder includes the ~/Library folder. The local iDisk is actually a disk image stored inside the Mirrors folder inside the Library folder.

ho
howarth

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:42 am Post

ExecutiveEditor wrote:If, on the other hand, you're asking whether a backup of your Home folder also backs up the local iDisk (for an additional level of protection), the answer is likely yes, as long as your backup of the Home folder includes the ~/Library folder. The local iDisk is actually a disk image stored inside the Mirrors folder inside the Library folder.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for such a succinct explanation. I'm finally going to get some value out of my .Mac subscription!

pa
pandora

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:37 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I use the FTP program Yummy FTP that has the ability to save a little program into a directory which automatically uploads modified or new files to a specified location on a FTP server. I have one of these set up in my backup location, so that whenever I save a backup out of Scrivener, it is automatically in a secure location on my web account. I needn't even do anything. I hear Transmit has this feature now, too.

Hi ... sounds like a great backup strategy. Can you explain what little program within Yummy you mean, and how to set it working. Thanks.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:17 am Post

It is quite simple. Using Yummy, log in to your FTP server and navigate to the location which you wish to store your backups in. Once you are there, in the File menu, select, Save as FTP Watcher.... An option sheet will let you choose how the watcher should work. The default is probably fine, since Scrivener already date stamps the files for you. Click the "Create Watcher" button, and then choose where the watcher should be saved. The location is important because it will only check the directory that it exists in for changes.

When you are ready to use the watcher, just double-click it like an application (I keep the ones I use often in the dock, to simplify this process). You will get a message about it now being activated. From that point on (until you reboot or log out anyway), whenever you save or modify anything in that directory, it will upload the changed file to the FTP server in the background. You don't have to log in to the FTP server, or even have Yummy open at all. It will open and close the application for you, if it is not running already.

When you are done using it, you can use the Stop all FTP Watchers command in Yummy's Transfer menu. It isn't really a big deal though -- in my experience they use only few resources -- but if you are pressed for memory or CPU, it is handy to know how to shut them all down.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pa
pandora

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:53 am Post

This is just perfect. Thanks so much for your wizardry!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:30 pm Post

You are quite welcome!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Inkling

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:21 pm Post

On a mac, you can also use gmail as a sync type service (sorta) http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/

. I use it to back up my scriv projects now, and also external pdfs and thing. Although it does give me a thought - mebbe not a windows version of scrivener, but a viewer of scriv files. Cross platform so I could put it on a usb stick and run it from any computer.

Ah well, not needed ^^