battery drain

dj
djnms
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:17 pm Post

Hi all,
I have been a happy Scrivener user since the early 2020. However, due to the pandemic, I was using it mostly at home, with my MacBookPro constantly plugged-in. Now, when I take my laptop with me to work or elsewhere, leaving the charger behind, I notice a significantly shorter battery life when using Scrivener as compared to when it is closed completely (Command+Q, not just hidden on the Dock). To be sure, I have ran several tests, spending 3-4 hrs writing using iA Writer, Pages, MS Word, and Scrivener, with roughly the same set of other apps in the background (Safari with 2-3 tabs, DigitalEditions, Mail, etc.). Result:most programs - 40-50% of battery left, Scrivener - 5-15%. I do realize that the difference between capabilities between some of those programs is massive, but still it renders Scrivener much less viable choice when working unplugged.
Does anyone have similar observations? If so, do you think is there any power-consumption optimization possible to solve the issue? I love the program for its all-in-one format, and would by far prefer to be able to use it on the go as well as at my desk at home.

RobG

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 pm Post

I've not noticed any power consumption issues with Scrivener on my own MacBook. You can monitor the energy usage in real time with the Energy tab of Activity Monitor, which you will find in your Utilities folder within the Applications folder. If your project is stored in Dropbox then that would cause small amounts of constant network traffic as documents are saved as you work, and then uploaded, but even that would probably not use much power.

dj
djnms

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 pm Post

Thanks for the hint. My projects are stored locally with no need for syncing. I will test the power consumption with the Activity monitor, and will post the results when I have them.

xiamenese

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:35 pm Post

What is your MacBookPro … I mean does it have a hard disk or a solid state internal drive? If the former, that could be part of your answer as Scrivener will access the drive much more than any of the other apps you mention, and hard disks use up a fair amount of power, either to keep the spinning or to spin them up.

Just a thought.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

kewms

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:06 pm Post

What's in the project? Using Scrivener to view a video in the Research folder is a different task from composing text in Pages.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

dj
djnms

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm Post

2018 MBP 13", Intel i5, SSD.
The project does not contain anything but text, and two or three PDFs in the Research folder.
In the activity monitor I noticed that Scrivener does use more energy than other apps. During 1 hour of use the energy impact rose to 7,2, while similar usage of Word was 4,1, Pages - 3,7, and iA Writer 2,8.

An
AnotherGuy
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am Post

I had same problem with MBA i5 2020. In my case the problem was linked to Dropbox activity needed for synchronizing Scrivener projects. Since Dropbox had occassionally high CPU and battery load I uninstalled it and stored Scrivener projects locally on my hard disk. Now I transfer and backup project files using zipped backup files.
“Just another guy that you see around
No more than a face somewhere in a crowd “

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm Post

Another solution is to pause Dropbox syncing while you’re out-and-about, and re-start it when you get home. If you have Dropbox installed on your Mac, your project will still be saved on your hard drive, it’s just that Dropbox updates will queue until you turn on syncing again.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 14.1

dj
djnms

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 pm Post

I do not use dropbox, so in my case it must be something else. I've kept monitoring the energy consumption by all my apps and Scrivener is on top of the list by a large margin.

An
AnotherGuy

Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:04 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Another solution is to pause Dropbox syncing while you’re out-and-about, and re-start it when you get home. If you have Dropbox installed on your Mac, your project will still be saved on your hard drive, it’s just that Dropbox updates will queue until you turn on syncing again.

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of this but I didn't want to pause Dropbox syncing since I was not sure if I would remember to re-start it again. Also, there was issues with Dropbox finder integration etc. Now I am just using iCloud and taking local backups of my projects with Time Machine and ChronoSync Express.

An
AnotherGuy

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Another solution is to pause Dropbox syncing while you’re out-and-about, and re-start it when you get home. If you have Dropbox installed on your Mac, your project will still be saved on your hard drive, it’s just that Dropbox updates will queue until you turn on syncing again.

BTW I read your blog "A Study in Silver". It contains a lot of interesting and valuable information. Thanks a lot!

rdale

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:30 pm Post

Have you adjusted the auto-save interval? It defaults to 2 seconds of inactivity, but I usually increase it to 10 seconds. That reduces the number of times that it writes out to the hard drive, which might have an impact on the energy use. While SSDs are a lot more efficient than spinning-platter HDs, they still require more energy to record new information than it takes to maintain something in RAM.

The only other thing I can think of is to try resetting the Scrivener interface. Maybe there's a bug in some aspect of it (showing colors in the binder, splitting the editor a particular way, customizations to the toolbar... ). Keep a screenshot of anything visible as you have it now, and export your other settings so you can re-load them if that doesn't have any impact.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".