Beta 0.9.0.1 - Bug Report & Comments

po
pottster
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:09 pm Post

Having used Scapple for a while now I really think this product will achieve a quick take up when launched. It's easy to learn, and doesn't stand in the way of getting thoughts recorded and organized. I don't know what your marketing strategy is but if you can get people using it then you'll have no problem converting to a sale.

BUGS

BUG - F11 when window maximized should toggle to and from a maximized window not a maximized and restored down window.

BUG - F11 prevents autohidden taskbar from being accessed with mouseover.

Previously reported bugs still occuring:

BUG - Notes do not autofit when merging and then splitting again.

BUG - With a Centre text alignment and the Enter to finish editing option enabled, pressing the Enter key leads to staggered rather than left aligned notes.

BUG - Intermittent screen flicker when dragging note. Occurs below level of note and doesn't occur with increased zoom level (higher than default). Could this be a Qt problem with difference in time between drawing background and objects?

GENERAL COMMENTS

I would like the option to print selection (which is a logical extension of the existing zoom to selection).

Should File\Open result in a new instance of the program? More typically this would open a file within the existing window.

I note your response on the menu structure for note styles but I still feel that "settings" type functionality should be separate from "applying" type functionality. The program could appear quirky to users only familiar with windows software conventions. Similarly, Scrivener users will be familiar with Inspector but it could be an alien concept to those haven't used Scrivener or Mac software.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:30 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback. I've filed the bug about toggling between full screen and maximised state. My experience with programs in full screen on Windows is that they always disable the auto-hide task bar-Internet Explorer, Firefox, Adobe Reader all work this way, for instance. If Scapple did not disable the auto-hide taskbar, the bottom area of the board wouldn't be useable.

We're looking at ways to handle stacks when using centred or right alignment with auto-resize enabled. Currently stacked notes are identified by their distance from one another and their left alignment, so notes that are aligned otherwise and auto-sized raise several complications. Mac and Windows handle this slightly differently at the moment, but we're working on a unified way to handle this to get a consistent and more expected result.

Auto-resize only triggers when a note has been edited. Splitting a note thus doesn't trigger the auto-resize. There's not an easy way around this at the moment, but it's on the list for further consideration. You can use the Notes > Auto-Fit command to manually size notes to the width for the full note text.

We've corrected a flicker with the floating inspector when working on the board resizing notes and such, but we have not yet reproduced or been able to track down any kind of larger flicker of the full window or screen, so this hasn't been fixable.

Although it's not possible to send a selection straight to the printer, you can export selected notes to PDF and then print that.

File > Open opens the Scapple document in a new window, which is fairly standard behvaiour.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

po
pottster

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:09 pm Post

Thank you for the response Jennifer.

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer with the full screen bug description. The problem with an autohidden task bar mouseover occurs after full screen has been toggled on and then OFF with F11 i.e. not while full screen is active. Interestingly, this is a very similar problem to one with recent releases of Chrome for which Google have a fix pending. The quickest solution is to minimize and then restore the window but that's just a workaround.

Regarding File\Open I would have to disagree with it being standard behaviour. All the MS Office programs for instance will have one unified window when a file is opened from a blank document with the blank document being replaced. Otherwise, it means that system memory is being used unnecessarily and it's annoying to have to remember to close the blank document at the end of a session. A settings option to open with the last edited file might be handy but wouldn't be a complete solution.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:04 pm Post

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem of the auto-hidden Windows task bar not showing correctly after toggling out of full screen. This is testing on Win7 x64 Pro. Are there other specific steps to triggering this on your system or task bar properties/position that affect the result?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

po
pottster

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 pm Post

Ah! I've just discovered - Chrome was causing the problem. It was occurring when Chrome was layered directly underneath. Problem disappeared if Chrome was minimized or not not running.

Do you think there will be a re-think on the question of File/Open not opening a new instance? I've checked a few other programs and I'm struggling to find a single one that behaves the same way as Scapple. I think MS Office programs might have done this in the dim and distant past but not for a long time.

sz
szegan

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 pm Post

pottster wrote:... I've checked a few other programs and I'm struggling to find a single one that behaves the same way as Scapple.

Inkscape, for instance.

But, there are other programs which are capable to open only one file. That's why they ask to close the currently opened file before opening another one.

po
pottster

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 pm Post

To clarify, I'm referring to Scapple opening an unedited and unsaved blank document and leaving it open in a separate window after selecting File\Open from there. I'm not talking about switching from one file to another. There is very limited value in saving a blank document which is why most programs don't do this. Of course, if the blank document were edited or saved then you would expect it to be retained until closed. Does Inkscape do the same as Scapple in this situation?

Pi
Piemme

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:26 pm Post

I opened with Scapple Beta 0.9.0.1 Windows your demo file "scapple_coffee.scap" and I got this slightly messy pattern Image
I run Scapple under MS Windows XP SP3.