General Feedback: Wishlist

Wh
Whizzo1300
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 pm Post

I use a Mac by choice. I have to use Windows for work. I have Scrivener and Scapple installed on both. Like others I'm finding Scapple is rapidly becoming a daily work tool (i.e. Windows). I can't wait to pay money for a Release version! Having read the manual and used the current beta pretty intensively over a couple of days can I offer what I hope is some well-considered input:

Wherever possible I try to learn keyboard shortcuts for maximum productivity. Scapple is great in this respect ... up to a point. There are four areas where at present the hyperspeed workflow grinds to a crawl for me.

1) Grouping and Background Shape: I've seen other inputs on this topic (including a somewhat esoteric debate on the nuances of "magnetic" vs "grouping"). Simple bottom line for me: I can create, stack and connect notes really efficiently. But then *invariably* want to group them together so they can be moved as a block easily. Whoever suggested Ctrl-G as a one-step shortcut was spot on. I would also value this greatly. The Background Shape+Magnetic metaphor works and I wouldn't want to lose it. But I find it cumbersome for the basic need i.e. 90% of the time.
2) Align: Related to above. Keyboard shortcuts would be good (or Inspector button ... not as good but still an improvement)
3) Zoom to fit (might be a bug?): F9 (Actual size) spills over the edges of the screen. F10 (Zoom to fit) leaves loads of white space. I can get the view I want by selecting all (Cntrl A) followed by Ctrl-Shift 8 then click to deselect. This is what I would have expected F10 to produce
4) Paste from Clipboard: I use OneNote clipper *all the time* to capture content to the Clipboard. Not being able to paste straight into Scapple (Ctrl-V) is limiting. Pasting into OneNote then drag/drop works. But again this just breaks the smooth workflow.
[Edit] Might be going bonkers on point 4. Could swear this didn't work yesterday. But I can paste today - albeit with a poorer quality than if pasted into a Microsoft app

Hope this helps and doesn't offend in any way. I'm already a big fan. If these speed bumps can be flattened it will elevate a good program to an indispensable one. Best of luck with the ongoing development. And ... thanks.

MimeticMouton

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback! There are a few tricks you can do now that should help a bit:

* In the Options under the New Shapes tab, set shapes to be magnetic by default.
* Use the Alt,N, S accelerator to create a new shape around your selected notes; with the above, it will automatically be magnetic.
* Use the Alt, N, G accelerator for aligning notes, then the appropriate final letter for the type of alignment (e.g. L for left edges, R for right edges)

We do hope to add a way for users to define their own keyboard shortcuts in the future, since everyone will have their own frequent commands and preferred shortcuts, but the Alt combo should speed this up for you significantly.

Pasting from the clipboard should be working, but let me know if you find a set of steps where this isn't happening properly for you.

I do see that there's a some extra padding being counted for the Zoom to Fit command that is excluded when you do the Zoom to Selection trick; I'll see what we can do about that.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Wh
Whizzo1300

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 am Post

Thank you Jennifer. Yes that helps a lot (I didn't think of the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts to menus). Can I add a strong vote in favour of user defined shortcuts - that would be great. User defined shortcuts might address a new point I wanted to float.

That is keyboard consistency between the Mac and Windows versions. Having become pretty familiar with the Windows version out of curiosity I went back to my MacMini (I use the same physical keyboard via a KVM switch). Unfortunately virtually nothing matches.

One example: Create Note to Right

Windows: Alt+Right (2 finger operation)
Mac: Ctrl+Command+Right (3 finger operation)

So flipping between the two is painful. In effect I need to become fluent in 2 separate apps.

BTW there's nothing weird about my Windows keyboard mapping. It is purposely as close to the physical layout of a Mac keyboard which I imagine is normal in this scenario i.e.
Ctrl = Ctrl
Win = Opt (Alt)
Alt = Cmd

Anything that would enable this to be harmonised would be VERY beneficial IMO.

BTW ... paste works fine (apart from the degraded quality) ... evidently brain fade on my part.

Thanks again for the advice and fast response.

MimeticMouton

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:19 am Post

Unfortunately it's not easy to do a direct Mac to Win mapping. We did try to keep shortcuts relatively consistent where we could, but we also needed to honour standard Windows shortcuts for those common commands that have them (e.g. text alignment, which differs between Mac and Windows) and there are fewer modifier combinations available on Windows (for instance, Ctrl+Alt is interpreted as AltGr and typically needs to be avoided in a shortcut, and the WinLogo key is reserved). Usual mapping for shortcuts like these is Cmd = Ctrl, Opt = Alt. For a Mac combo that involves Cmd-Ctrl, you have to substitute something for the second Ctrl on Windows...and so it goes. Add to that common shortcuts already used globally by the system (e.g. Alt+Shift and Ctrl+Shift are the default shortcuts on Windows for swapping keyboard layouts and languages) and it just gets to be extra fun!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)