Future of Scapple

in
ina1
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:26 pm Post

Have you started working on Scapple 2, or will you continue to develop Scapple 1?

Are you going to update Scapple for Windows with features like in macOS version?
Eg. Note Styles palette in Inspector would be really helpful.

sc
scapplefan
Platform: Windows

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:21 am Post

I second this. I recently discovered Scapple for Windows and it's an incredible tool. The only issues I've had were the lack of one-click formatting options on the inspector and the inability to add connection labels. Imagine my surprise when I discovered these features are already in the Mac version. I've never used a mac before but I found myself so curious, I created a new virtual machine running MacOS for the sole purpose of testing these Scapple capabilities. Turns out they work exactly as I hoped!

I can't run this VM long term though so I'd really like to see these two features ported over to the Windows version. I'll happily purchase another 2 copies of the software to gift to friends if somehow this could be achieved.

Thanks for an amazing tool!

zi
zielax

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm Post

Yep, I'm on the same page.
Will the Scapple for Windows as good as MacOS anytime soon?

ina1 wrote:Have you started working on Scapple 2, or will you continue to develop Scapple 1?

Are you going to update Scapple for Windows with features like in macOS version?
Eg. Note Styles palette in Inspector would be really helpful.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:36 pm Post

You need to be aware that LAP and Tiho_D, the two devs on the Windows platform will be totally taken up ny the Scrivener v. 3 process, and until that is finally released they're unlikely to be giving attention to Scapple. I don’t know what their roadmap is for after the launch of Scriv 3—L&L don’t publish such info—but I’m sure the intention is to bring Scapple up to parity with the Mac version at some point.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

in
ina1

Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:54 pm Post

I didn't want to be rude.

Scapple for Windows is really great. Btw I think it's all native C++ (with APIs). Am I right?

Also I noticed that styles can be controlled via right-click -> Apply Note Style, so it's not that big deal.

Finally, I want to praise its UX design. It's ingeniously simple.

xiamenese

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm Post

ina1 wrote:I didn't want to be rude.

Scapple for Windows is really great. Btw I think it's all native C++ (with APIs). Am I right?

Also I noticed that styles can be controlled via right-click -> Apply Note Style, so it's not that big deal.

Finally, I want to praise its UX design. It's ingeniously simple.

I never thought that and I didn't intend my comment to be critical, rather to say "patience is the order of the day" :)

Many newcomers to Literature & Latte don't seem to realise what an extremely small team of developers they are. Apart from Tiho_D and LAP, there is only Keith himself, who first developed Scrivener and Scapple and who solely does all the work on those for MacOS and for Scrivener on iOS.

Furthermore, the Windows versions are not ports of the Mac versions, they are programmed from the ground up, in Qt for Scrivener, but I have no idea for Scapple.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

in
ina1

Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:10 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
Furthermore, the Windows versions are not ports of the Mac versions, they are programmed from the ground up, in Qt for Scrivener, but I have no idea for Scapple.

Thanks for information! Qt compiles to C++, so result is native. They made a really great choice of framework.

Btw, out of curiosity, was there a native Linux version of Scapple?

Fr
FredBob

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:05 pm Post

For me, scapple is unusable until it has a backup process to help avoid accidental deletion and corruption.

The backup process should be at least the same as scriveners.

Ru
RuffPub

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:48 am Post

FredBob wrote:For me, scapple is unusable until it has a backup process to help avoid accidental deletion and corruption.

The backup process should be at least the same as scriveners.

Most programs don’t gave a backup feature and we live with that just fine. Put your own backup process in place.

Teriodin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm Post

RuffPub wrote:Most programs don’t gave a backup feature and we live with that just fine. Put your own backup process in place.

I only use software that has auto-backups, either to a NAS, or automatically to cloud. I write for a living, I will take no risks with my work. Your view is, at best, antiquated.

Scrivener, OneNote, Papyrus Author, Ulysses, GoodNotes, etc., all have automated backup systems in place.
-- Mythic Fiction Author, tells lies for a living.

drmajorbob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:06 pm Post

Teriodin wrote:
RuffPub wrote:Most programs don’t gave a backup feature and we live with that just fine. Put your own backup process in place.

I only use software that has auto-backups, either to a NAS, or automatically to cloud. I write for a living, I will take no risks with my work. Your view is, at best, antiquated.

Scrivener, OneNote, Papyrus Author, Ulysses, GoodNotes, etc., all have automated backup systems in place.

None of them have more than one level of backup, though.

I use Dropbox, Time Machine, and ChronoSync with projects and zip backups in all three. That's to the cloud (off-site) and 2 external drives. Anything less is taking chances. (I'm trying out BackBlaze as a #4.)
Last edited by drmajorbob on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:06 pm Post

Teriodin wrote:

Hi Teriodin,

I suspect you're misunderstanding the request.

Like Scrivener, Scapple already has an 'autosave' feature. (Data is automatically saved to disk/cloud every xx seconds.)

What Scapple does not have is 'automated backups' (Zipped backup of data automatically saved when program closed.) I believe this is what FredBob is requesting for Scapple.

I'll point out that OneNote has 'autosave' but does not have 'automated backups'.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Teriodin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm Post

Fair enough, Jim.

To my mind, if it's saving my typing somewhere other than where I typed it, I see that as a backup. Scrivener and Papyrus Author both do the extra zips though, too. They're the only two I trust with novels. :mrgreen:
-- Mythic Fiction Author, tells lies for a living.

Ru
RuffPub

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm Post

Teriodin wrote:

Most software only has autosave. Think Word, Excel...... the list is endless. I make use if and appreciate the Scrivener autobackup, but like DrBob go further, and have a robust backup process for the dozens of apps that don’t have the feature.

Fr
FredBob

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:24 pm Post

Auto save is NOT auto backup. And why are so many averse to this totally reasonable improvement. The code already exists in scrivener.

SAVE is destructive. So, being an old time programmer, i learned to only use SAVE AS, adding date/time to the file name, to assure no code would be lost.

Scrivener has one of the best auto-backup functions of the dozens of programs i use. It provides for multi-file/version backups, saved to wherever, that assure nothing is lost....

I have it set to add date to the file name, backup on every save, and on exit, and KEEP ALL BACKUPS, which are saved to a folder on the network, and then to a pcloud folder.

This means i have a copy on my computer of the project, and every project has a full history of changes, off the computer. Much easier when using ZIP files.

Scapple is worse than word/excel, which can only be set to keep the last auto-saved file for short-term recovery. Hence, i use save-as when using these programs.

As far as been described, Scapple overwrites files in 2 seconds without any recovery function.

Yes. windows has a global auto-backup function, file history, which i use to hourly copy changed files to a network folder. I have it set to backup hourly, and to keep files forever. I have used it to retrieve deleted files. But is it a bit of a pain to retrieve files.

And yes: scapple files are copied as well. But!!!,,, retrieval take more time than unzipping and loading a recent backup.

For me, only one addition could improve Scrivener's nearly excellent auto-backup feature. Timed backups. I do not always remember to press control-s when needing to walk away from the computer.

I desire to use Scapple as an excel replacement. Spreadsheets are the best writing tools. Little need to learn key commands, and use the mouse to move the cursor, fast to add possible variation,...