Future of Scapple

in
ina1
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:26 pm Post

Have you started working on Scapple 2, or will you continue to develop Scapple 1?

Are you going to update Scapple for Windows with features like in macOS version?
Eg. Note Styles palette in Inspector would be really helpful.

sc
scapplefan
Platform: Windows

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:21 am Post

I second this. I recently discovered Scapple for Windows and it's an incredible tool. The only issues I've had were the lack of one-click formatting options on the inspector and the inability to add connection labels. Imagine my surprise when I discovered these features are already in the Mac version. I've never used a mac before but I found myself so curious, I created a new virtual machine running MacOS for the sole purpose of testing these Scapple capabilities. Turns out they work exactly as I hoped!

I can't run this VM long term though so I'd really like to see these two features ported over to the Windows version. I'll happily purchase another 2 copies of the software to gift to friends if somehow this could be achieved.

Thanks for an amazing tool!

zi
zielax
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm Post

Yep, I'm on the same page.
Will the Scapple for Windows as good as MacOS anytime soon?

ina1 wrote:Have you started working on Scapple 2, or will you continue to develop Scapple 1?

Are you going to update Scapple for Windows with features like in macOS version?
Eg. Note Styles palette in Inspector would be really helpful.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:36 pm Post

You need to be aware that LAP and Tiho_D, the two devs on the Windows platform will be totally taken up ny the Scrivener v. 3 process, and until that is finally released they're unlikely to be giving attention to Scapple. I don’t know what their roadmap is for after the launch of Scriv 3—L&L don’t publish such info—but I’m sure the intention is to bring Scapple up to parity with the Mac version at some point.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

in
ina1
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:54 pm Post

I didn't want to be rude.

Scapple for Windows is really great. Btw I think it's all native C++ (with APIs). Am I right?

Also I noticed that styles can be controlled via right-click -> Apply Note Style, so it's not that big deal.

Finally, I want to praise its UX design. It's ingeniously simple.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm Post

ina1 wrote:I didn't want to be rude.

Scapple for Windows is really great. Btw I think it's all native C++ (with APIs). Am I right?

Also I noticed that styles can be controlled via right-click -> Apply Note Style, so it's not that big deal.

Finally, I want to praise its UX design. It's ingeniously simple.

I never thought that and I didn't intend my comment to be critical, rather to say "patience is the order of the day" :)

Many newcomers to Literature & Latte don't seem to realise what an extremely small team of developers they are. Apart from Tiho_D and LAP, there is only Keith himself, who first developed Scrivener and Scapple and who solely does all the work on those for MacOS and for Scrivener on iOS.

Furthermore, the Windows versions are not ports of the Mac versions, they are programmed from the ground up, in Qt for Scrivener, but I have no idea for Scapple.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …