Automatic adjustment of size

wi
wildpix
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 pm Post

Hello,

I played around with Scapple a bit and I must say that I love this piece of software (almost as much as I love Scrivener) and hope to be able to purchase it soon! :)

I noticed two things, though:

The size of the notes usually adjust perfectly when editing is done. There's one exception, however: if the default text in the preferences is empty (which I prefer because the note would immediately be deleted if I change my mind and click somewhere else), this is not really working. Instead, the note is always too narrow and thus in two lines for me.

Also, the background of notes can't be really transparent. I don't know if this is by purpose, but sometimes I'd like to have two notes a bit closer resulting in an overlapping of the two. If transparent background colour isn't possible, would it be possible to make the bezel of the notes a bit smaller instead (decrease the distance between text and border)?

Apart from that, this software finally has the potential to make mind mapping work on the computer for me. :)

KB
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm Post

Hi,

Regarding the first point, can you please post the steps to reproduce? There is a bug I've just fixed whereby if your default font size and alignment is different, resizing messes up with new notes.

Regarding transparency, this is intentional and cannot be changed. It's necessary for how the various layers of drawing are done.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

wi
wildpix

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm Post

Alright, this is how it works:
  1. Set the Default text in the preferences to something that's not nothing (it may even be a space character).
  2. Set the Default font size to 12 pt.
  3. Double click somewhere on the workspace to create a new note and enter some text.
  4. It works perfectly

And this is how it doesn't work:
  1. Set the Default text in the preferences to nothing (so that it says (No Text) in a greyed out colour).
  2. Set the Default font size to something other than 12 pt (better recognizable if it's bigger than 12).
  3. Double click somewhere on the workspace to create a new note and enter some text.
  4. The new note seems to have the size fit for how big it should be with a font size of 12 pt.

Also compare this image:
Bildschirmfoto 2013-03-26 um 15.04.00.png
Font size adjustment problem
Bildschirmfoto 2013-03-26 um 15.04.00.png (30.9 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

So I guess this fits the description of There is a bug I've just fixed whereby if your default font size and alignment is different, resizing messes up with new notes.
I forgot to mention the font size because I didn't remember that I changed it. Sorry for that!

KB
Site Admin

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 pm Post

Hi,

Yes, that is indeed the bug I've just fixed - phew! I noticed it a few days ago, after the latest beta was out, so this will work fine in version 1.0.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

wi
wildpix

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 pm Post

Perfect! Sorry again and thanks! I'm looking forward to the release. :-)