Feature Request: Word count

Be
Bennubird
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm Post

Hi Keith,

Congratulations on another excellent application. I'm preparing a brief presentation and was looking for exactly what Scapple does. I apologize if you've covered this already, and I see it's probably too late for version 1.0, but I'm hoping you'll consider adding a word count feature to Scapple in future versions. I find myself elaborating on ideas because it is so easy to expand on them and then move them around to get my desired sequence. I figure why not go ahead and develop them a little more before porting them over to Scrivener where I'll complete them and do my final production.

Thanks for taking my request.

Best,

Charles

Spitfire31

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 pm Post

Bennubird wrote:… I'm hoping you'll consider adding a word count feature to Scapple in future versions.…

With all due respect and IMHO, adding word count to Scapple would be akin to putting a Mach meter in a hang glider.

In fact, I think it would even be counter productive in a free form brain storming application, where the number of words (or characters) should really be the very least of your considerations. It just goes against the Scapple ethos of providing a clean and simple slate for your ideas and musings.

For the stage of development where a word count might come in useful, I think that Scrivener is the appropriate choice.

Kind regards,

Joachim

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 am Post

And it is super easy to select the notes you want to count, hit Cmd-C and paste them into Scrivener or any other text editor with a counter on it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bj
bjørn
Platform: Mac

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am Post

There’s also a great word counter widget you can access directly from your Dashboard:

http://www.supermagnus.com/mac/wordcoun ... nload.html

It can’t be any easier! :wink:

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm Post

Not to mention text services, which can be installed and give you word counting in every program that has text in it. :) It's good to be on a Mac sometimes.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles