Idea? option to reopen projects that were open on quit

Al
AlanReynolds
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 am Post

Scapple is a great tool that I enjoy using.

'Reopen projects that were open on quit' is a handy Scrivener preference option that would be nice to have in the production version of Scapple.
Best regards,

Alan

KB
Site Admin

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am Post

Scapple uses standard OS X document procedures. If you run it on Lion or Mountain Lion, this will happen automatically, just as it does in TextEdit, Pages and suchlike.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AS
ASimmons

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:55 pm Post

Good morning! Thought I would take a look at the forum post this morning while sipping my morning cup of coffee. Perhaps I have not had enough, but I'm confused a bit by this post.

I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.3. When I start Scapple, I am always confronted by a new blank file. It does not matter what file I was previously working on when I closed the Scapple application; a re-start of the program always brings up an empty new file. I then close that file, go to the "open recent" menu choice and pull up the old file I was working on when I closed the program.

Based on Keith's reply to the OP, I decided to open TextEdit and Pages to see if the behavior is different. With the introduction of the new "iCloud" features, I do not return to the document I was previously working on. I am presented with a window from which I choose a document (either from "iCloud" or from "On My Mac") to work on.

So I guess what I am confused about is that "reopening projects that were open on quit" does not happen automatically in Scapple, TextEdit, or Pages. (It works in Scrivener, but, of course, I'm convinced that Scrivener was coded by some group of superior beings from a distant future and brought back to us by Bill and Ted at the end of one of their excellent adventures .)

Am I missing a global preference setting somewhere? Maybe I just need to drink some more coffee!

KB
Site Admin

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:16 pm Post

Open your System Preferences and have a look under the "General" pane. Do you have "Close windows when closing an application" ticked? If so, the default automatic reopening behaviour is turned off, so you just need to deselect it.

Scrivener uses its own auto-save and project re-opening code because it is a much more complex app, which is why it operates independently - although, as it's creator, I have to confess I'm more Wyld Stallyns-era Ted Theodore Logan that future being. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."