Feature Request::Meta organization and multiple dimensions.

on
onno

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 pm Post

Fantastic program. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it.

I like the freedom that the program enforces, but it would be nice to connect my freedom in ways that help me organize it for myself.
This is happening as my mind maps take on a sprawling multi-headed life of their own.

I was thinking about the ability to draw simple squares, or even other shapes, below the text boxes, that could provide color maps under my thoughts to connect them. I envision this to be in no way connected to the boxes, and so would not act as a group to connect the boxes, but as a way to visually relate them. It may be possible to have different layers that could be turned on and off, to highlight different possible relations.

The other idea is to create different dimensions for the boxes, as that would effectively create multiple worlds of mind flows that are still connected, but like an outline, allow for hidden content.

I can also see that this would create very complicated mind maps as the number of dimensions multiply, but to start off with, it would be (and could remain) as simple as it is now.

I like the lack of constraints, even though I sometimes wish it has a little more structure.

on
onno

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 pm Post

One additional thing to implement, just to save some time, is the ability to draw a single line through several boxes, in the order in which they were clicked. This is not necessary, but would save time when I organize what I have drawn, and end up selecting each pair and connecting them one by one.

on
onno

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 pm Post

Another suggestion is the ability to see various parts of the idea map, so that you can refer back to them. Splitting the screen would be one way, or to have various windows for the same file, as that could be spread over several monitors.

As maps become large, it would be nice to have the ability to save views, and label them, as in Adobe Illustrator. This would allow for another meta organization of the mind map.