Feature Request: Scale and Center Canvas

ra
random_pattern

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm Post

I've used mind map and similar programs for years. The one feature I always need (that most don't have) is the ability, with a keystroke or clickable button or icon, to center the content and then scale the canvas via an auto-zoom so that the screen is filled right to the edge with the content in the document (without any text, node, or branch being off the edge of the screen).

Scapple is meant to be a simple program, I know. But because, by nature, it allows users to build out content nodes and trees endlessly with no canvas limitation, after working with a Scapple document a few weeks, I find myself constantly forced to zoom way out, zoom back in a little bit, reposition, zoom in more, center the tree I want, and then zoom in close enough to read and work with it.

That's 6 steps. If we had a "Center and Scale Canvas" feature, that would obviate at least the first 2 or 3 steps of this procedure.

Thanks.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm Post

Why don't you use the QuickZoom feature (hold down "z" to zoom out and see the entire canvas; let go of "z" to zoom back in to the previous scale, centring on whatever the mouse was over)?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ra
random_pattern

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm Post

That's a bit of a help—thanks. Still requires a zoom out, though, depending upon the size of that particular tree and all its branches and nodes. If it's a small tree, no problem; a large tree spills off the edge of the canvas, though, after the Z operation, requiring a zoom to scale it, and sometimes a space bar-click-drag to get it properly centered.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am Post

Which beta are you using? The latest beta changed things so that "z" should zoom out to show the whole canvas no matter how big...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Fl
Floating.Point

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:22 am Post

I think what the OP is after is a "FIT command". For example:
Keyboard shortcut f = show the whole canvas
(this would actually change the Pan & Zoom values; rather than QuickZoom)

QuickZoom is awesome! I can see that a FIT command would also be a welcome feature.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm Post

Sorry, I still don't understand - how would "show the whole canvas" be any different to QuickZoom, which also shows the whole canvas?

Fl
Floating.Point

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:53 pm Post

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my interpretation :)

Think of it as a function that does exactly the same as QuickZoom, but doesn't return to the original zoom state on the key release. So it actually changes the zoom value, rather than just previewing the entire canvas for navigation purposes.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 pm Post

Like `View > Zoom to Fit`?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Fl
Floating.Point

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 am Post

Oh Geeze, how embarrasing.
Exactly like "Like `View > Zoom to Fit`?"

I got caught up trying to interpret the OP's request, I didn't even think to actually find the existing functionality. Apologies for taking you all on a wild goose chase.