Scapple not loading previous files

gl
glenmac45
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:14 pm Post

I just downloaded the latest version of Scapple, tried to open a file made on 15 Nov 2012, using the Open command under File, and nothing happens. It appears to see the file, but doesn't open it.
Any comments

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm Post

You're getting no exceptions? If you open Console.app from /Applications/Utilities, do you see any errors reported there?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

gl
glenmac45

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 am Post

Thanks for coming back. I can find nothing relevant in Console, however I have now got Scapple working properly.
It took a few close down and reloads, but suddenly it was working properly again.
Initially it wouldn't even respond to New. I trust it had nothing to with sandboxing because Console is now going mad with it.
I haven't clue why the program started to behave itself, but thanks for your comments anyway.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 am Post

It shouldn't have anything to do with sandboxing because the beta of Scapple isn't sandboxed (although I have got sandboxing working for builds I will create for the Mac App Store). It's strange there were no errors. All of the "Open" commands - Open, Open Recent and suchlike - are handled by OS X, one layer below Scapple. Scapple doesn't touch those commands but just uses the standard ones provided to apps by Apple. So it is possible that it was a temporary Finder or file system glitch, or the file system suddenly playing up with Scapple (or it could have been an error in Scapple that happened earlier along and only presented itself when you went to use "Open").

Please let me know if it happens again, or if you can find any circumstances under which it always occurs.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

xiamenese

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 pm Post

One thing I try when I get weird behaviours like that is to choose "Force Quit" and then "Relaunch Finder"; if that doesn't work, the next thing is shut down, wait a couple of minutes and re-boot; if that's not enough, repair permissions; if that's not enough go through the boring process of repair disk.

But it doesn't usually get that far. But by "close down and reload", do you mean close down and reload Scapple? Not enough, because if your problem's because something's got in a twist in the Finder or deeper in the system, that issue is still going to be there even if it doesn't seem to be affecting other apps. Shutting down clears out the cruft ...

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.2, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …