Any way to add existing Note to Stack?

ra
random_pattern

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 pm Post

I've searched the manual and forum but can't find anything on this.

I often want to add a note I created at some point (somewhere else on the canvas) to an existing stack, but can't figure out how to. Is there a drag, keyboard, or even menu item that will accomplish this?

There are all sorts of ways to drag and drop Notes to form connectors and arrows; and I know I can drag the cursor around a bunch of Notes to select them, right click, and select stack (but even tho that would add my new Note near the bottom, if often reorders the order of the Notes in the Stack). A keyboard command ("Cmnd-Hyphen") is listed in the release notes as supposed to stack things together, but it doesn't work for me.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm Post

Just drag the note underneath the stack, then select the bottom note and the new note and use Notes > Stack. Your post has given me an idea for making it easier to add a note to the middle of a stack, though. (At the moment, if you select a note in the middle of a stack and then some other notes that aren't in the stack and hit "Stack", the other notes will be stacked beneath the first selected note but will be placed *over* notes that were already in the stack. I'll change this to move the existing notes down. Remember that the first-selected note will always be the top of the stack when selecting notes and hitting "Stack" - that is, the first-selected note will not move, only those that were subsequently selected.)

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ra
random_pattern

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm Post

Keith,

Thank you so much. That is a great idea for improving the Stacks feature. And thank you for explaining how to use the current build so that I can have more control of Stack operations.

Btw, I am really starting to love Scapple. And I'm not just saying that because you offered to consider changing the code to improve the Stacks function.

I was logging on today to post about how much value I'm starting to get out of the program. There are SO many mind mapping, wire frame, ToDo, and hybrid programs that provide some value and functionality in this area, but the design fundamentals chosen for the creation, coding, and building of this amazing new app are bringing users value and functionality that more "feature-rich" (particularly mind mapping) apps don't provide—because at some tipping point, beyond which most of those programs have gone, the user is forced to surrender the power and freedom of a wide-open canvas and loose UI to get all those extra features (which become a bit of a straitjacket).

Much thanks again. This is a really good beta process going on here in the forum. Hats off to L&L.

—RP

he
henrietta

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm Post

Thanks for your explanation on stack behavior, Keith. One quick note: when I drag to select notes from top to bottom, their order changes. When notes are individually selected from top to bottom, they stack nicely in that order. Aha!

I like the idea of being able to add notes to the middle of stacks. RP, I agree: I too am loving Scapple more and more, having tried myriad mindmapping programs and then leaving them in the increasingly cluttered closet. Thanks, Keith and Co.! And the tone of this forum is a welcome respite.

ra
random_pattern

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 pm Post

henrietta wrote:One quick note: when I drag to select notes from top to bottom, their order changes. When notes are individually selected from top to bottom, they stack nicely in that order.

Thank you so much for explaining this!

RP

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am Post

henrietta, the way it works is this:

1. The first notes selected will be used as the top card in the stack.

2. Other notes are placed below it not in the order they were selected but rather based on their distance from the first note. So, the closest note gets put directly below it, and the farthest note gets placed at the bottom. This works regardless of how you select the notes.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the kind words!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."