Changing Document background

Ch
Chrisconsin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm Post

Maybe this has been addressed so pardon me if so. Felt like a huge waste of time finding my solution the second time around.

I think everything should be pretty intuitive to find. Everything should exist in a pull-down. I should be able to find it easily if I read through every menu. Document color, from the current manilla to white for example, should be findable and not just a footnote in the preferences. Under "Colors" there should be a "Document" option that opens the inspector pane, where it's quite obvious how to change the color.

On that note, shouldn't the "Inspector Pane" should be more prominent?
Maybe a small Inspector icon button somewhere on the window. Far left, opposite "Reset"?

Loving the software. Cheers!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm Post

Hi,

I think everything should be pretty intuitive to find. Everything should exist in a pull-down. I should be able to find it easily if I read through every menu.

In most cases I would agree with you, but I disagree when it comes to the document background and such options. If document background was global, then it would just appear in the Preferences. In Scapple, the document background is set per-document, though, so it belongs in the inspector. Having it there and not in a menu is no different from having it in the Preferences and not in a menu. Certainly it would be bad UI to have a button in the global Preferences that opened a document inspector.

You'll note that there is plenty of precedent for this, too - just look at any of the iWork inspectors. Most of the options in the Pages inspector do not appear in the menus or in the preferences.

Document color, from the current manilla to white for example, should be findable and not just a footnote in the preferences. Under "Colors" there should be a "Document" option that opens the inspector pane, where it's quite obvious how to change the color.

Maybe a small Inspector icon button somewhere on the window. Far left, opposite "Reset"?

That wouldn't really be very Mac-like. On the Mac, inspector buttons always appear in the toolbar as a blue disc (like Scrivener's). Scapple doesn't have a toolbar, though, as it is deliberately minimalist. You can easily access the inspector using the keyboard shortcut opt-cmd-i, though.

Loving the software. Cheers!

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."