direction of arrow

go
gomersni
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:09 pm Post

Say you have two notes, A and B. If you hold the option key and drag A on top of B, you get an arrow - but the arrowhead points back to A.

Intuitively, I'd expect the arrow to follow the direction of the drag so that, if you drag A on top of B, the arrow would point from A to B.

Juddbert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm Post

Try holding down the command key instead. You'll find the arrow will then behave as you expect. :)
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.1 on macOS 10.14.
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

go
gomersni

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 pm Post

Thanks, Juddbert. This works - but raises some other, related, issues.

The fifth and sixth bullets in the Quick Start guide now work differently. In Bullet 5, Command + dragging note A over note B gives an arrow from A to B, as you've shown me. It's something you do if you're working on A, and you want to show that it leads to B, or perhaps is subordinate to B.

However, switching to Bullet 6, if you're working on A and you use Command + doubleclick on A, you get a new note (B), and an arrow pointing back to A. This use of the Command key is inconsistent with the use of Command + drag we've just been discussing.

Indeed, the fourth, fifth and sixth bullets need some light editing for clarity's sake: Bullets 4 and 5 should be combined to say that if you drag A over B, then: (i) with no other key depressed, you get a nondirectional dotted line; (ii) with Option depressed, you get an arrow back to A; and (iii) with Command depressed, you get an arrow from A to B.

The sixth bullet should offer a similar range of choices, but instead we get the following results if you've selected A and doubleclick elsewhere: (i) with no key depressed, you get a new and unlinked note B which is to be expected from Bullet 2; (ii) with Option depressed, you get a new note B with a nondirectional dotted line between them; and (iii) with Command depressed, as noted in my past paragraph you get a new note B, with an arrow pointing back to A. There is no option for creating a new note B with an arrow pointing from A to B.

I'm going on at such length because Scapple's highly functional simplicity is hard to achieve, and depends on deep levels of consistency.

Hoping there are no typos here, and thanks for your patience.

Juddbert

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm Post

If you have note A selected, then hold down the Command key and double click anywhere on the canvas, you'll create a new note B, with a connecting arrow pointing from A to B. The behaviour you're describing occurs when you hold down both the Shift and Command keys. If note A is selected, then double clicking anywhere else on the canvas will create a new note B, with the connecting arrow pointing from B to A. Holding down the Command + Option keys will create a double headed arrow link.

Does this clarify?

go
gomersni

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm Post

Does this clarify? Yes and no. Please bear with me.

I know there are ways to get whichever arrows I want: pointing from A to B, from B to A, or doubleheaded (or just a plain dashed line). My issue, though, is that generating such arrows is inconsistent, depending on whether you're dragging one note over another, or doubling clicking to create a new note.

In each of these two actions (dragging, or double clicking), you can use option, command, command-shift and so on - or, of course, none of these. The outcome should be similar between the two actions, eg, if you use option with dragging you should get something similar (not identical, of course) to what happens when you use option with double click.

That's not the case. If I drag A over B with option pressed, I get an arrow from B to A, but if I select A and double click elsewhere with option pressed, I get a new note B (of course) connected to A with a nondirectional dashed line. That's what I mean by inconsistent. Consistency would give me a new note B, yes, but with an arrow from B back to A.

(There are other examples with the other keys. I won't go over them all here. By the way, you mentioned shift-command, but I hadn't been using the shift key at all when I wrote my previous post.)

In one sense, it's not a big deal. If I try to get a particular effect and it doesn't work with command, I just try again with option, or shift-command, or whatever, until I get what I want. It's just that the consistency I've mentioned would make this great product a tad more elegant and easier to use.

Thanks again, Juddbert. I look forward to your further comments.

Juddbert

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:03 pm Post

Ah, I now see what you're driving at, and, yes, to the extent that the Option key initiates a different link-type dependant upon the context in which it is being used, you're right. :idea: :)
Semantics, eh? What you see as an inconsistency, I see as a logical contextual variant. Dragging: it works one way. Double clicking: it works another — but you find this keystroke contextual variation in many applications, including, dare I say it, Scrivener. It's not an issue for me, but I can appreciate that it may be for you.
I'd suggest however, that throughout Scapple's development, Keith's focus has remained rooted on delivering as efficient and simple an App as possible, and I feel sure you'll join me in applauding the success of his efforts thus far.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 pm Post

I concede that it is a little inconsistent, and this is on my list of things to look at. I can't promise anything, though, because there are some technical differences in the mechanics of double-clicking and dragging that make it difficult to use consistent shortcuts when there are four possible options (dotted line, point to, point from, point both ways).

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

go
gomersni

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 pm Post

@Juddbert: thanks and yes, I agree that this is a splendid app

@Keith: thanks also and yes, please tweak it if you get the chance but otherwise, just keep on developing these great products