Stack stacks to southeast instead of south ...

JR
JRV
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm Post

Under some circumstances, command-return produces a new note southeast of the selected note. This happens when text is selected, alligned center, and return is pressed followed by command-return.

It may happen in some other circumstances, (right allignment, without the preceeding return ... but I'm not so sure these were all repeatable).

Also, This might even be a feature!

I've been working through the quickstart using my new magic trackpad with my iMac. So far this is the only anomaly I've found.

JRV

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 pm Post

After testing this, I don't think it is being created south-easterly, although it does look a little like that. When you hit cmd-return, the new note is created with the left border aligned to the left border of the note above it. If you select both notes after creating the second note, even though the lower note looks as though it is created to the south-east, you will note that their borders line up - it is just that the original note, because it is centred, is resized to fit from both sides, so its left border will move to the right just as its right border moves to the left.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

JR
JRV

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 am Post

Thanks. It seemed more pronounced than that to me, but I'll have a more careful look.

JR
JRV

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm Post

OK, here is a more complete desctiption:

1 double click to enter a new note

2 type "center"

3 do command-| to center it

4 do command-return

5 type "center" in the new entry box

This will leave the word "center", centered relative to the old entry box, and will put the left side of new entry box aligned with the left side of the first *text* "center" which was left when we did step 3.

However, the next "center" text is centered in the new entry box.

4. Continue doing steps 3 to 5 and I get a line of entries that actually goes off toward the east-southeast on my printout.

If I do a right-align instead of center, the sequence of entries goes off in an even more easterly direction.

Curiously, and this may be a clue to the problem, If I go back and double click one of these to edit it, then don't make any changes before the command-return, the next entry is properly stacked underneath.

Hope this is clear. By doing some things in different order, sometimes I get the second note offset, but the third and subsequent stacked properly under the second one.

Best,

John Velman

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm Post

Hi John,

I think I see what you mean, but this is expected behaviour - there's not really any other way this can act when auto-resizing is turned on. When text is centred, the auto-sizing has to be around the centred text, otherwise the text position would change. Then, when you create another note beneath that, it is left-aligned with the new note, as expect. When you stop editing that, if it is set to be centred, then again, things will get resized so that it is where you left it. But it will look exactly as it did when you centred the text.

The only way around this would be to turn auto-resizing off, which you can via the preferences.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

JR
JRV

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm Post

Thanks, Keith. I can certainly live with it as is.

Scapple is a great program (as is Scrivener). I also have never liked "mindmaping" software.

I'm using Scapple to help plan restructuring an OS x program I've been working on off and on for years.

Pretty soon I'll get back to my travel memoirs and it will be of great use there.

Best,
John Velman