Printout on more than one sheet

en
enrico
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:37 am Post

Tried to print a sketch on more than one sheet (Mac OS 10.8.2), for example on two sheets. But no enlargement (adjustment) of the sketch. Tried Scale in Page Setup and Pages per Sheet in Print, but no effect - printout always on one sheet in the same size.

xiamenese

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:31 am Post

enrico wrote:Tried to print a sketch on more than one sheet (Mac OS 10.8.2), for example on two sheets. But no enlargement (adjustment) of the sketch. Tried Scale in Page Setup and Pages per Sheet in Print, but no effect - printout always on one sheet in the same size.

I'm not sure where this is in Keith's plans for Scapple, but it seems that printing tiled pages like this is not possible currently. Have you tried exporting to PDF or JPG/PNG whatever and then printing that through some other graphics app that will do tiling?

This is not something that I have tried, I have to say, and have nothing to try it out on, but that's the workaround I'd look into.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

en
enrico

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:08 am Post

Yes - tried exporting to PDF or JPG/PNG whatever and then printing. But the same effect.

qu
quietbyday

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm Post

@enrico, xiamenese:

I also wanted to print out a large map. Did a quick Google search on this and successfully tested out two options you can use, both fairly simple (I'm working with OSX 10.7.5):

Solution 1:
Use PosteRazor, a handy little open source app: (http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/):
  • Download and launch PosteRazor.
  • Save your .scap file as a PNG (it has to be a raster image).
  • Load the PNG into the posterazor (the wizard is extremely simple).
  • It walks you through a few steps for your page setup and then generates a very convenient PDF with all your tiled pages ready for printing and physical assembly.
    Seems to work brilliantly, can be used for all sorts of other purposes as well.
Solution 2:
Use Adobe Reader (I downloaded and tried v10.1.4 from the official site)
  • Export your .scap file as a PDF
  • Open in Acrobat Reader
  • From the Print dialog, under Paper Sizing & Handling, choose Poster and then make the appropriate settings. I do not have a printer connected at the moment, so could confirm the result, but it seems fine and is confirmed by others online.
Pros & Cons:
PosteRazor was very simple and worked the first time I tried it. I also like that it can make posters out of any other image files (not relevant to Scapple, but nice). Adobe is a more direct process and possibly better supported, but its OSX interface is a bit clunky at times and not always intuitive. I also found it frustrating that it could not print to PDF (or at least I couldn't make it).

I hope this helps!
Patrick

en
enrico

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:43 pm Post

enrico wrote:I hope this helps!
Patrick

Thanks for the note. 've Tried both and it works!

sh
shari

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:06 pm Post

I also like the idea of being able to print on multiple pages. It would also help to be able to tell how much work fills one page. There are times I'd like to group separate ideas or themes so each has it's own page.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 pm Post

This is on the list, although I'm not sure it'll be done for 1.0, as splitting it up across sheets for printing is more difficult from a technical perspective than it might seem, because each page has to be drawn separately, which gets tricky when you are drawing partial maps...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."