Synopses to notes

Tj
Tjeerd
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:06 pm Post

I have been using Scapple now for a week and this was the software I missed. The infinite whiteboard. Great!

After using it seriously, see attachment, I'Il have a two feature requests. The first one is the most important. I hope it is not covered elsewhere in the forum.

1) This feature request pertains to the point when brainstorming ends and the realization of the ideas starts. In my case I set up a structure that I have to change into text, but it is relevant for other forms of realization as well. Anyway, what I miss is a way to add additional information, such as a synopsis, to the notes so that I can keep the brainstorming structure, but that I am still able to play around with the best way to realize the ideas. On my whiteboard I would start to add postits to the board. Here a second-level note that pops-up after for example a second or so hovering over the note will do the job. In my case I might add references, or ideas on how to write the future texts.

The function would be functionally similar to the Title and Synopsis feature in the outliner of Scrivener. Maybe it can be implemented in a similar way. After outlining this way I would drop selected notes with title and "synopsis" into Scrivener and start writing the connecting text on the basis of all the preparations in Scapple. In fact it might open a possibility to drag and drop Scapple notes into the binder.

2) While editing an existing centered note, it would be nice if the center of the note remained at the same place after the edit. Probably similar for left and right justification.

Anyway, whether or not these features implemented, this software makes me happy!

Best wishes,

Tjeerd
Attachments
LeftOrBoth.pdf
(226.12 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm Post

Woah, that is a very cool map! Thanks for posting that! (Would it be possible to use that as an example on our product page if we need it?)

Regarding (1), this is a little out of scope, I'm afraid. The idea is that you just type everything in one single note rather than have other stuff coming off of it. I guess that would be the point you take things into Scrivener.

(2) should already happen - the note should be resized around the centre if a note is centred. Is that not happening for you?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Tj
Tjeerd

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 pm Post

Hi Keith,

with this great program it was not so difficult and quite enjoyable to make this map. You're more than welcome to use the map for your product-page. I guess that people with a strong hemispheric integration like Scapple more than people who are left-hemisphere dominated. :)
When you decide to use it please ask me to provide the newest one. It will probably end-up somewhere in a scientific article so I would like eventually to post only the final one.

ad (1). I expect more demand for this "additional" note facility to build up in the future. But maybe not. Simplicity has its virtues

ad (2). No it is not keeping its (horizontal) center. It moves to the right.

I have linked the latest (but not final) version of my "thought cloud". You see two pages of the same scapple, but one with a background image. The only thing that can be improved is that I failed to select a transparent background. Is that a bug or a feature? See page 2 for what I mean.

Best,
Tjeerd
Attachments
LeftOrBoth_20.pdf
Same Scapple, but second page with background.
(508.74 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 pm Post

Tjeerd wrote:ad (2). No it is not keeping its (horizontal) center. It moves to the right.

I found this bug the other day, and have fixed it for the next update.

I have linked the latest (but not final) version of my "thought cloud". You see two pages of the same scapple, but one with a background image.

Nice! Thanks for posting that!

The only thing that can be improved is that I failed to select a transparent background. Is that a bug or a feature? See page 2 for what I mean.

This is a necessity of drawing - each note gets a background drawn, so that you don't see text drawn over text, or lines going beneath them. So it doesn't lend itself to background pictures very well because of this, unfortunately.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."