Importing Scapple maps into Scrivener

ci
cindella204
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 am Post

The release of Scapple was great timing for me, I was just starting a new project :D Anyway, when I made my first Scapple document for said project, it was awesome, and once I finished it I was ready to go to Scrivener. I was expecting what I like to call the "Apple-Integration Phenomenon" which goes something like this:

If you try to export to a format that isn't made by Apple or PDF (cause PDF's never have problems, they're like images) it's going to be atrocious (Think Keynote to PowerPoint)

If you try to import into a non-Apple software it's going to be atrocious; if it lets you do it at all (Think of all the things Pages documents cannot be imported into)

But:

If you go from Apple software to Apple software it will be the most beautiful thing you've ever seen (Think the integration between the iLife applications, you don't have to export from one to import into the other)

But I didn't get that. When I imported the Scapple document into Scrivener it looked fine, but I couldn't zoom! It was the same predicament I get importing Pages documents into Scrivener, but that makes sense because Apple locks up their file formats. My habits of reading things in size five just because I can is about to get me glasses, so that's kind of an issue.

I checked to make sure my version of Scrivener was updated thinking that maybe my old version of Scrivener couldn't handle Scapple, but it said that it was updated.

It'd be awesome if I could edit my Scapple maps in Scrivener, but even if I couldn't, it needs to at least function the way a PDF does. PDFs do exactly what I originally expected a Scapple document to do in Scrivener.

I LOVE everything else about Scapple, I'd just like to see a better import. If there's something stupid that I'm missing, please let me know, because that's honestly very likely.

Thanks.

-jasmine

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 pm Post

I think you might be confusing Quick Look with actual integration. When an unsupported file type is dropped into the binder, Scrivener attempts to fall back to displaying its Quick Look preview. This is the same preview that you get if you hit the spacebar on a file in Finder (not 100% the same, but it is close enough to consider it the same). So it is just displaying a static preview, usually rendered as HTML or a picture. Quick Look for Scrivener is HTML---that nice outline you get. Scapple's Quick Look preview is a PNG of the whole map. Apple's third-party access to Quick Look is extremely minimal. We cannot add fancy controls to it like the PDF viewer.

That aside, there is integration, but since Scapple was put out on public beta after the last stable version of Scrivener was put out, there is nothing in the current release for it. If you wish to test integration then you will need to download and install the public Scrivener Beta. This will let you drop selected notes from a Scapple canvas into the binder, or vice versa. When you drag onto a freeform corkboard, the relative positions are maintained, too.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ci
cindella204

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 pm Post

So I just downloaded the Beta, opened the document I wanted, and re-imported the Scapple Board. It's still viewing in the "Quick Look"-esque format you were talking about.

Am I doing something else wrong?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 pm Post

No, that's exactly how it should work. Scrivener couldn't manipulate a Scapple document without having all of Scapple's code copied across into Scrivener.
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:03 pm Post

What you need to be doing is described in the second paragraph of my prior message. To move notes between the two applications, simply drag and drop the notes or binder items themselves, not entire files. The Binder and Freeform corkboards accept drops in Scrivener, the whole canvas accepts drops in Scapple. The first line will be used for the title, and the whole note content will be used for the synopsis.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 pm Post

Using the ability to import files as an alias, you can do a neat sort of trick to get the end result roughly like what you want. Once you have it set up, it's only one extra step when working.

1. Create your Scapple map
2. Export to PDF -- save this somewhere good, because you don't want to move it.
3. In Scrivener, choose File > Import > Research Files as Alias... and import the PDF just created
4. Import your Scapple map file if you wish, or just create a document reference to it in the newly imported PDF alias file -- this is just to give you a quick way to open the map in Scapple

With the alias file, you can view the map in the editor as a PDF with the ability to zoom. Whenever you edit the Scapple file, just export to PDF before closing, overwriting the original file. It will then be updated in Scrivener accordingly.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)