Scapple name

go
gomersni
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:40 pm Post

I'm enjoying Scapple. It's much more Mac-like than, say, Twig from Eastgate, though Mark Bernstein gets quite upset when I tell him I've never really gotten into Tinderbox and Twig, because they somehow don't feel quite right in the way that Scrivener and Scapple do.

My one suggestion probably comes too late: change the name. I lost your e-mail the other day and searched for Scapple using Spotlight - but entered Scrapple (with an "r") by mistake, probably because "Scr" is the start of "Scrivener", and because "scrapple" is a more common word than "scapple".

How about Scriv?

KB
Site Admin

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:08 pm Post

Scriv is already our abbreviation for Scrivener, and I love the name Scapple, so no can do.

Happy Christmas!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Gareth

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:36 pm Post

...Scrapple also has associations Keith may not wish for his software:

Scrapple, or Philadelphia scrapple, is a spiced pork breakfast sausage re-fried or re-grilled in slices, and served with ketchup or syrup.

Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America

I also seem to (dimly) recall that there may have been an apple drink of that name marketed in Britain at some point - the 70s perhaps?
Now available: The Aviator - a speculative fiction involving airships, AIs, and the elixir of life (which is cheese), set in a world being hammered by climate change - The Burning World. "Brilliant and wickedly satirical" - Sonny Whitelaw.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 am Post

It's Scapple, not Scrapple. And the name isn't changing - it took ages to come up with a name but we all love it. It has the perfect meaning.

Happy New Year,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Hu
Hugh

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 am Post

Gareth wrote:
I also seem to (dimly) recall that there may have been an apple drink of that name marketed in Britain at some point - the 70s perhaps?

'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

go
gomersni

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:02 pm Post

I know I'm not going to win this one, and I'm a big fan in spite of the name. Trouble is, when recommending it to others, I can't tell them for sure how it's spelled :-(

I can't tell them if it's Scapple or Scappel (perhaps because it's so close to "scalpel", a fairly common word).

OK, it's permanently in my Dock, so I don't have to worry. But still.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:46 pm Post

Look at it like this: you're learning a new word. :) (Many people have problems spelling "Scrivener".)