Feature request: draw lines

4m
4miler

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:43 am Post

Suggest being able to draw a line, circle and other basic shapes that are unrelated to the actual notes themselves.

e.g. when thinking through a for/against scenario, I might draw a line down the centre of the page, and put for and against arguments on either side of the central line. The line, here, is not part of any note.

e.g. draw circles, ovals when thinking through a Venn diagram scenario.

e.g. draw horizontal line.

Suggestion: have drawing capability for basic shapes and simple lines, e.g. Microsoft Word.

Pi
Piratepug
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:46 am Post

I've been lurking on these boards long enough to know that you don't make software decisions based on votes on the board, but I'd really like to throw my hat over the wall for this, or something like it. So, if you ever get bored and have nothing to do :D ...

I've been using it for a few weeks now to work on a script for my thesis. I love it. Hands down the easiest and quickest (and that means something to me) piece of software to use. I was able to jump in and go immediately. That being said, someday it might be interesting to see a way to draw a boundary around a group of objects. Not in any way that would "group" them, as such, just a visual border that separated them. And then, maybe a step further to be able to backfill that bordered area with color to highlight it.

It may be beyond the scope of what you're thinking and that's cool. It's just a thought. I will use it daily without it.

Oh, and I'd throw another hat over the wall for an iPad version, or maybe just a way to view Scapple files on an iPad ... someday. :D
Taking umbrage with the world, so you don't have to!

xiamenese

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 am Post

Piratepug wrote:Oh, and I'd throw another hat over the wall for an iPad version, or maybe just a way to view Scapple files on an iPad ... someday. :D

Couldn't you just export/print your scapple as a PDF and import that onto your iPad? Would that not let you view it in the meantime?

I don't have an iPad and I've not used Scapple for anything other than trying it out ... in my current life I have no serious need for it, but saying that has given me an idea what I can use it for ... anyway, just saying ...

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Pi
Piratepug

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm Post

Sure you could. I'm just thinking that I keep much of my current work on Dropbox, so to look at it on the iPad if I'm on campus would mean that I need to always keep a PDF copy on hand, rather than just viewing a native Scapple file. That's all. It's more a convenience thing than a necessity.

sh
shari

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 pm Post

An ability to draw lines would also make it easier to use Scapple to draw family trees. Since many of my stories involve family-related mysteries, I frequently do a simple family tree for my main characters.

DA
DAS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm Post

Hi, I'm with the other's here, definitely would like some form of line drawing tools, and basic shapes. I can think of a view use's of this in my work.

Dave

go
gomersni

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:04 pm Post

I appear to be in a minority here: I see lines, shapes and colours, though obviously useful, as the thin end of the wedge for a whole slew of added "features".

If you want shapes there are other great products out there such as OmniGraffle. I don't want Scapple to fill the same niche, not even as Omnigraffle Lite. On the contrary, I'd rather give up my beloved arrows on Scapple, and keep nothing but a simple dashed line with no further options - rather than add a ton of choices and tools.

Pi
Piratepug

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 pm Post

I would agree that it doesn't need a full fledged OmniGraffle like drawing set. However, in keeping with the theme that Scapple is like a large piece of paper, or white board, I often find myself in real life drawing a box around a set of ideas to separate them from the rest of what is on the paper. That is what I was referring to. Just a way to draw lines, so that I can replicate that way of working.

But that's just me. :D

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm Post

Sorry, but any form of drawing is definitely out of scope, at least for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Happy New Year,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Pi
Piratepug

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am Post

I guess there's really no difference between a line drawing tool and what I've been doing this far - just creating four "anchor points" (nodes with just a period in them) and connecting them to form a box around something. Works just as well. :D

Spitfire31

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 am Post

Piratepug wrote:I guess there's really no difference between a line drawing tool and what I've been doing this far - just creating four "anchor points" (nodes with just a period in them) and connecting them to form a box around something. Works just as well. :D

That is a really creative solution. Thanks!

/Joachim

Pi
Piratepug

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm Post

Keith,

Just wanted to say that the new background shapes are exactly what I was wishing for when I chimed in on this post a while back.

Thank you, sir. Your work is very appreciated!

mr
mrwolf

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm Post

Hello Keith,
Thanks for your hard work with scapple. I agree with many other tester that ability to draw a simple line is something to consider. I am not saying figures etc...only one line that is not connected to anything. This drawing simple line will increase functionality and creativity; and continue your original napkin analogy. I know many people draw lines in their napkin to divide concepts /ideas. My two cents. Love scapple and looking forward to final version.
mnwolf.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 pm Post

A definite no to drawing lines, that is well out if scope, sorry.

Piratepug - thanks for the kind words!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Spitfire31

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 am Post

mrwolf wrote: I agree with many other tester that ability to draw a simple line is something to consider. … I know many people draw lines in their napkin to divide concepts /ideas

You can already draw lines, although in a slightly roundabout way.

Just create two empty Notes as end points, with the same fill colour as the background and no border, connect them and – voilà! a dotted line!

/Joachim