Box changing issue

DA
DAS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 am Post

Hi,

Firstly thank you for this new piece of software, I am using it to map out story boards for an idea I have had for a new book.

One issue which you may need to look at as you develop this further, is that when I create a box, have filled it with the text I am happy with. If I set say a jagged outline and bordered with 2pts, If I then go on to change the box background and text colour it seems to reset the box border to nil and remove the jagged outline.

I am using an upto date macbook pro with the latest update of Mountain Lion - if that helps.

Keep up the good work as finding this useful, I was going to try creating a story time line which I can then move back to scrivener too.

Dave

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 am Post

Are you changing the box background and text with the Inspector palette, or by using styles? The latter will reset borders if the style has been saved with border style settings. If it hasn't, they should be retained.

Glad to hear the software is working well for your planning stages!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

DA
DAS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 pm Post

Hi,

I have had this occur using the alternate click from the touch pad, and bringing up the menu there to change the box background colour.

I have just tried it in my latest scapple file, but using an alternative way going via the format menu which achieves the same result - box border reverts to its original setting.

However have just tried it via the up arrow, command, C variation and that allowed me to change the background colour of the box without adjusting the border and other information. (Sorry new to macs, so couldn't work out how to write up arrow, command using signs).

It maybe that you intentionally designed it this way, and that I am being a bit of biff.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Dave

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:27 pm Post

You must have been using the Apply Note Style option in the contextual menu then? There isn't actually a way to change the background or text colour directly from this menu. Only indirectly via styles, and like I say, those can impact more than just background and text colour. The Pink Bubble style, for instance, changes the background colour, border width, and border style (but leaves text colour alone). If all you want to do is change the background or text colour, it's best to use the Inspector palette (Cmd-Opt-I). These change just the specific components. Styles are whole groups of settings that get applied together---and yes it is designed to work that way. That feature is specifically for when you want to use lots of settings together to achieve a certain effect.

It might in fact be useful if you are setting background and text colour to a bunch of items over time. That sounds like a good use for styles to me. You can select a note you've set, and use `Format/Note Style/New Note Style From Selection` menu command to give it a name and choose how many types of format it will save.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles