Text Selection Deletion on Drag?

Ch
Chrisconsin
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 pm Post

I jumped into Scapple and started to put down a flow chart. So I started as I normally would, typing a list I wanted to break out. I prefer not to have to lift my hands from the keyboard when I'm on, so making a list is the fastest way to get notes down for me. As I took items from the list and created new items, flow-chart style (very handy), the original item stayed in the list.

Is there a key combination so that when I drag a selected line from an item, the original line disappears from the original item? I prefer not to have duplicate information on my page and would rather not have it be a two-step process, doubling my break out time.

Please direct me if I've missed a discussion/or documentation on this and thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm Post

There isn't anything for doing that specifically, but to me it sounds like you're looking for the Split command, which is Cmd-K. Put the cursor in between the lines you want to split off and Scrivener will generate a new note and move everything after the cursor into it. Thus you can quickly work down a text list, converting it into notes.

On a side note, a good way to do this right off without having to stage a list and then pull it all apart is to use Cmd-Enter. This will create a note beneath the current one you are editing, into a "Stack". A stack of notes acts a little differently than normal. You can insert notes in between others in the stack---the rest will move down to make room for the new one---and they can all be easily selected at once with Cmd-Opt-A, lastly, arrow key navigation will prefer stacks, as well.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ch
Chrisconsin
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:05 am Post

Interesting. Thanks!
I think it would be nice to have a "Command Drag" of selected text create a new note, and deleting the original selection. Doesn't seem that the Command Drag does anything now.
I will use your suggestions Amber, but it would be nice to have another option for lists not created in Scapple.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:42 am Post

Oh, sure, I was just speaking from using the program to generate lists. If it is coming from outside of Scapple, when you drag a text file into a map, it will ask you if you wish to split the file into multiple notes, and what to separate the notes by. Adding a single return character would cut a list into notes for however many lines there are in the list.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles