Hyperlink behavior

Te
TerryNorton
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 am Post

I want to ask what the hyperlink behavior is supposed to be.

After I've created a hyperlink with a web URL, the text is blue and underlined like hyperlinks usually are. However, with no note selected, moving my mouse over the link does not give me any indication that the text is clickable.

When I click on the link, the note is selected. When I click again on the link, the edit cursor is now in the link text. Now my mouse cursor, when over the link, changes to indicate I'm over a link. Clicking the link now will open the web page.

Is being in note edit mode the intended behavior for clicking links?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Separate issue with hyperlinks:

If I make the hyperlink a URL to a file on my hard drive, and doing the same as above, the file will not open.

What I have to do now is right-click on the link and select Open Link from the context menu. Then the file opens.
Terry

I started off with nothing...I still have most of it left.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 am Post

Keith will probably come on with a better answer, but I bet individual notes are similar to index cards on the corkboard and inspector notes in that they are not actually text until you double-click into them to edit them, so interactivity with them, like clicking on hyperlinks or selecting ranges of text within them, won't be available. It might be slightly different though, because for me hyperlinks don't even show up at all in inspector notes until you edit them, then they are visible and interactive.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 am Post

TerryNorton wrote:Is being in note edit mode the intended behavior for clicking links?

Yes, this is absolutely the intended behaviour. As Ioa says, when a note isn't focused, it is merely drawn on to the screen. When you double-click on it, a fully-editable text editor is inserted in place of the note so that you can interact with it. By default, only fully-editable text editors are capable of having links that show the hand cursor when you hover over them, and having clicking on them open the link. There would be two ways around this:

1. I just insert fully-editable text editors for every single note all the time. This is hugely inefficient and would slow everything down massively once you have a few notes on the board. Keeping only a single editor around and swapping it in as needed keeps things fast, and is the standard way of doing things.

2. I could scan through the text of each note and add mouse tracking areas which would show the hand cursor, and look out for clicks on those rects, handling them differently. This would also be rather inefficient, as it would involve scanning the text and then working out the exact rectangles associated with each link.

Perhaps more importantly, though, if links were immediately clickable, it would make selecting and dragging notes around that much more awkward. If a note containing nothing but a link, for instance, every time you went to select it or drag it, you would most likely end up opening the link instead. Even if the note had text around the link, you would have to be careful where you clicked.

Curio works in the same way as Scapple in this regard.

AmberV wrote:It might be slightly different though, because for me hyperlinks don't even show up at all in inspector notes until you edit them, then they are visible and interactive.

No, it works the same, it's just that I added a little extra drawing code to Scapple to show the links even when they aren't in edit mode. I've just added that code to Scrivener, too, for the next update.

TerryNorton wrote:If I make the hyperlink a URL to a file on my hard drive, and doing the same as above, the file will not open.

Ah, okay, it seems the default behaviour for file links is to show them in the Finder rather than open the actual file (Scapple is currently just using the default behaviour). I've customised this to open the file for the next beta.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Te
TerryNorton

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 pm Post

Good stuff, now that I understand the process.

Thank you for adding hyperlinks.

Just for your information:

I own MindNode and MyThoughts for the Mac, plus MindNode and iThoughts for iOS. As great as I thought they would be, I hardly ever use them. I had great expectations, but they just didn't click with me as I thought they would. Also own OmniGraffle Pro, which I have used for certain things, but not for mindmapping.

Not really sure why they didn't make my life so much easier, perhaps just the way they look when presented.

I thought I'd love OmniOutliner, but that didn't do it for me either. Guess I'm just too picky

Scapple on the other hand is so simple to use. and there's not much of any graphics to simply get in the way. I realize Scapple is meant to be totally freeform in its layout, but when I use its stacking feature, my ideas look so organized and easy to see. They're so simple they're beautiful.

My favorite feature is stacking, fantastic for organizing.

Scapple for mindmapping feels similar to using markdown for text documents. Simple to use yet looks wonderful.
Terry

I started off with nothing...I still have most of it left.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 pm Post

Thanks for your (very kind) feedback, Terry, much appreciated!

Scapple for mindmapping feels similar to using markdown for text documents. Simple to use yet looks wonderful.

That's exactly what I was aiming for too - something really simple to use that feels as close as possible to scrawling ideas down on paper, but making it easier to change your mind and rearrange ideas than paper allows for.

Thanks again!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Merovech

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm Post

I'm sorry, have I missed something? I'm not seeing any hyperlink ability...which would be cool to have.

Juddbert

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 pm Post

Merovech wrote:I'm sorry, have I missed something? I'm not seeing any hyperlink ability...which would be cool to have.

Merovech, you'll find <cmd>L will allow you to add a link to any highlighted text, at which point the text takes on the familiar link state, with the font blue and underlined. Once the Scapple document has been saved, clicking the link will take you to the URL you've specified.
:)

Mr Blount, Sir

I would venture, albeit humbly, to echo the sentiments of the redoubtable M Bywater in suggesting that Scapple is already feature-complete. It really doesn’t need any more arrows, lists, twists, hyperdoodles, or seamless integration with the likes of OneNote, BumNote, WriteMyNote, et cetera, ad nauseum. (Will it sync with OneNote? I...umm...no matter, just a thought.) Scapple’s strength lies in its simplicity, its purity. It does exactly what you created it to do — if others want more, then let them sweat over the code. I for one will gladly stump up whatever wonga is necessary for my Scapple as-is licence.

Thank you

R
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.1 on macOS 10.14.
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 pm Post

Merovich - also make sure you have downloaded the latest beta.

Juddbert - thanks! I don't intend to add much more, don't worry. :) I just have a few minor bugs to fix, a couple of tweaks, and the finished icon to get in there, and we'll be releasing it.

All the best,
Keith

Merovech

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 am Post

Okay, as always I conclude I missed it in the documentation. There's no keyboard shortcut lookup in the Help. But, I have the beta from last week and everything is going great.

sd
sdowns

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 pm Post

One thing I have noticed with Notes containing a hyperlink. As soon as you paste in any additional text, the original hyperlink is lost and it just reverts to plain text. Note the cursor was positioned at the very end of the note, not inside the hyperlink.

Problem only seems to occur if you paste in the text. Simply placing the cursor at the end of the note and typing new text retains the original hyperlink.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm Post

Thanks - I think I know what is causing that. I've added it to the list to fix.
All the best,
Keith

st
stuzog

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:37 am Post

Add that in a list of hyperlinks, one on each line, adding text after any link wipes out all the link information and returns the links -- all of them -- to plain text.

I understand the rationale, but having to triple-click links to get them to work doesn't seem right to me. Might be easier to double-click a note to make it editable?

my
mylesharris

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 am Post

Is it only possible to link to URLs ? Is it possible to link to another Scapple page, like Voodoo pad ?

M Harris

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 pm Post

mylesharris wrote:Is it only possible to link to URLs ? Is it possible to link to another Scapple page, like Voodoo pad ?

M Harris

Yes, use the file:/// URL format. E.g:

file:///users/myname/documents/scapplemap.scap